Saturday, November 24, 2012

Coquitlam-Prince George Trade:

There's been a flurry of trades in the BCHL over the last 4-5 days and I have to admit that it's been tough keeping up with each move with analysis and a blog post.

I do Tweet each trade as I find out about it, so if you'd like to follow me on Twitter, you can do so here: http://www.twitter.com/Brian_Wiebe

Coquitlam Head Coach and GM Jon Calvano had a busy week, making no fewer than four trades. One of the biggest - if not the biggest - deals the Express made was to bring in 20-year-old defenceman Bradley Ryan from the Prince George Spruce Kings for 19-year-old defenceman Mark Begert, 17-year-old forward Jace Hennig and future considerations.

To Coquitlam Express:
D Bradley Ryan (92) To Prince George Spruce Kings:
D Mark Begert (93) F Jace Hennig (95) + Future Considerations

The Express haven't posted anything on their website about the trade, but here's what's on Eddie Gregory's Coquitlam Expressions blog:

With the December 1st roster deadline quickly approaching, the Coquitlam Express have moved swiftly this week upgrading their size and experience on the backend.

Earlier this week they traded Dillan Walker to Trenton. And acquired 20 year old defenceman Mark Maciag from the Carleton Place Canadians for future considerations.

The latest trade sees the Express send 19 year old defenceman Mark Begert along with 17 year old forward Jace Hennig and future considerations to the Prince George Spruce Kings for 20 year old defenceman Bradley Ryan.

Ryan gives the Express some much needed size on the backend standing at 6'5 and weighing in at 210lbs. Plus he also has an offensive touch with 5 goals and 15 points in 22 games this season. He also has a scholarship to Vermont for the fall of 2013.

With the additions of Ryan and Mcaig the Express have added a pair of 20 year old blueliners. Plus they have given the blueline an upgrade in size. Both players have also put up some points this season.

The Express now have a full compliment of 20 year olds with six.. With three on the blueline.

Begert was in his second go round with the Express this season. He played his rookie season in the BCHL with the Express in the 2010-11 season. He attended Boston College last season before returning to the Express this season. where he had 5 assists in 23 games.

Hennig was in his second season with the Express and first full season in the BCHL. He had 2 goals and 2 assists in 17 games this season. He dressed for 28 games for the Express last season scoring a pair of goals and ten assists.

The Express would like to welcome Bradley to the team. And wish Mark and Jace the best of luck with Prince George.

Here's the release from the Spruce Kings website:

The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) have completed two separate trades acquiring three new players today.

Liam Board ('93, forward) has been traded to the Vernon Vipers in exchange for Kevin Guiltinan and future considerations. Bradley Ryan (’92, defenceman) has been traded to the Coquitlam Express in exchange for Jace Hennig, Mark Begert and future considerations.

Kevin Guiltinan is a '95 born 6' 3" 205 pound defenceman from London, Ontario, is described as a physical defenceman and has secured a NCAA scholarship to Harvard University.

Jace Hennig is a '95 born 5' 10" 175 pound forward from Coquitlam, BC who is a great two way player with tremendous offensive upside and is committed to Merrimack University.

Mark Begert is a '93 born 6' 185 pound defenceman from West Vancouver, BC and is a good skating two-way defenceman.

"We are excited to add three very good players to our lineup today," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "We have acquired a couple of tremendous all round defenceman that will improve an already strong group on defence and a tremendous two-way forward with great offensive instincts."

"We had an opportunity to improve our club today and we took advantage of it," continued Hawes. "It is always hard to trade two fabulous young men like Bradley and Liam. We wish them all the best with their new teams."

The three new players are expected to be in Prince George in time for this weekend’s double header against the Surrey Eagles.