Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trail-Langley Trade:

I know I'm late in posting about this, but I did Tweet about it last week when it happened. (By the way, if you'd like to follow me on Twitter for up-to-the-minute BCHL news, my handle is @Brian_Wiebe)

The Trail Smoke Eaters added to their depth on defence by acquiring 18-year-old Valik Chichkin from the Langley Rivermen in exchange for 19-year-old forward Tanner Clarkson.

Clarkson had requested to be traded by the Smokies after playing just six games with them this season.

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
D Valik Chichkin (94)
To Langley Rivermen:
F Tanner Clarkson (93)
Here's the release on the deal from the Rivermen website:

Township of Langley, BC, Friday, October 26, 2012: The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club has announced a trade with the Trail Smoke Eaters. The Rivermen trade Defenseman Valik Chichkin (1994 born) in exchange for Forward Tanner Clarkson (1993 born).  Clarkson is a native of West Kelowna, B.C. and has played 100 career BCHL games, recording 17 goals, 12 assists and 38 penalty minutes.

“Tanner is a guy that we identified last year and we believe he has a lot of upside. He is a big kid that skates well and has some offensive touch as well,” said Rivermen Head Coach Bobby Henderson.
Clarkson had his best season statistically a year ago putting up 11 goals and 7 assists in 33 games played with the ‘Smokies. This season he has only played six games thus far and has added one goal.

“I think Tanner will add to our overall team speed and will definitely add depth up front for us,” continued Henderson, “he had a pretty decent year a season ago and we are excited to add him to the organization”.

As for Chichkin, the numbers on the blue line were adding up, which meant a drop in ice time for the second year defenseman,

“We felt we needed to get Valik to a place where he was going to have an opportunity to get the minutes he needs to continue his development. We are sad to see him go because he is such an outstanding young man, but at the end of the day he has got to go where there is more opportunity,” finished Henderson.

And from the Smoke Eaters site:

TRAIL -- The Trail Smoke Eaters have completed a transaction with the Langley Rivermen, acquiring defenseman Valik Chichkin (94) in exchange for the playing rights of forward Tanner Clarkson (93).

Chichkin, a 6’3”, 190-pound defenseman from Burnaby, has 2 points in 9 appearances with the Rivermen this season. As a 17 year-old rookie, he scored 1 goal and 14 points with Langley in 54 regular-season games. He was also selected in the 2009 Western Hockey League bantam draft by the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

Clarkson scored 1 goal in 6 games this season with the Smokies after being acquired in December of 2011 from the Nanaimo Clippers. In 39 career games with the Smoke Eaters, Clarkson tallied 12 goals and 19 points.

Chichkin is expected to join the Smoke Eaters for their regular-season game Saturday, October 27th in Salmon Arm.  The Smokies host the Victoria Grizzlies Friday (7:30 PM, Cominco Arena).