Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Only Thing You Can Count On In Life Is Change:

When I moved away from Merritt last December, I thought this day might come, I just didn't know when. In case you didn't see it on the Merritt Centennials website, Facebook page, or Twitter feed, I have officially resigned as the team's Media & Communications Coordinator. Despite the fact that I lived far away from the Nicola Valley, a lot of the work I did for the Cents was behind the scenes and could be administered electronically. I also didn't want to leave the Centennials in lurch to find someone to replace me.

Once I made the conscious effort to take this blog in a more general BCHL direction after leaving Merritt, I realized that I had to be more impartial than in the past and only post items here that presented the facts, with sources, etc. for your information and reading enjoyment. I figured that maintaining a position with the Centennials wouldn't jeopardize that impartiality, and it wasn't until now that I felt it could potentially be questioned.

The reason for my resignation is that I've been hired by TEAM 1040 to provide colour commentary along side Jeff Paterson for all 12 of their BCHL broadcasts during the 2012-13 season. As one radio station broadcasting games for 10 of the BCHL's 16 teams, we approach our broadcast very similar to the way that Hockey Night in Canada does for the NHL. We try to be impartial and not cheer for either side, we feel that we call games even for both teams because we're there to increase the exposure of not only the BCHL, but also both teams' players, coaches, etc.

As a result, as I mentioned in the Cents media release: "Because my role on TEAM 1040 is to be completely impartial, I feel it's best that I not be associated in an official capacity with any specific organization in the BCHL."

I'm really excited about the opportunity this presents for me and my family and I am thrilled to be working with such a great group at TEAM 1040 and the level of hockey that I pay more attention to than any other - the BCHL.

Lastly, I know it's been a long time since I've posted on the blog here, but it's not for a lack of want. It's unrelated to the situtation with this new gig... I simply haven't had time between family life and work life, but I'll strive to post more often going forward.

Thanks for reading,
Brian

Here's the Media Release from the Centennials website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - September 28, 2012

The Merritt Centennials are disappointed to announce the resignation of Media & Communications Coordinator Brian Wiebe, effective September 30, 2012.

Wiebe has served on the Board or as a volunteer with the Centennials for nearly ten years in various roles. He's resigned to focus on his position as colour commentary for the BC Hockey League radio broadcasts on TEAM 1040 in Vancouver.

"I truly cherish the time I spent not only in Merritt helping the Centennials, but also in the last ten months behind the scenes after moving away from the Nicola Valley," said Wiebe. "Because my role on TEAM 1040 is to be completely impartial, I feel it's best that I not be associated in an official capacity with any specific organization in the BCHL."

Wiebe's contacts, convictions and genuine love of the game has benefitted the Centennials throughout the years. The entire organization wishes him all the best in his future hockey endeavours.

An immediate replacement as Media and Communications Coordinator for the Cents has not been determined.

For further information, please contact Cents Secretary Heather Fader at 250-378-8344 or email info@merrittcentennials.com.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats..and good luck. Hope it turns into something more that 12 games..

    Please continue with the blog posts as often as you are able. News(real news) on the league is hard to get .

    and thks for your time in league with Merritt. Having been associated with a community team back in the day with a great rivalry with Merritt I can appreciate just how much what you have done mattered.

    ReplyDelete