Sunday, September 2, 2012

Chilliwack-Powell River Trade:

The Chilliwack Chiefs add a bit more grit and experience to their roster on Saturday as they acquired 19-year-old forward Tanner Cochrane from the Powell River Kings for future considerations.

The deal was officially announced by the Chiefs as they had claimed Cochrane off of BCHL waivers. What that means is that Powell River had a deal done to trade Cochrane to a junior 'A' team outside of BC in exchange for money.

In any instance where a player is traded from the BCHL to a league outside of BC for cash, he must clear BCHL waivers first, meaning the other 15 BCHL teams can claim him instead of the player being traded out of province. That's exactly what happened with Cochrane and Chilliwack and now Powell River gets the cash considerations from the Chiefs as opposed to the other team they had a deal with.

We'll never likely know what trade Powell River had worked out the team with the outside of BC and the transaction should officially go down as Cochrane from the Kings to the Chiefs for futures.

To Chilliwack Chiefs:
F Tanner Cochrane (93) To Powell River Kings:
Future Considerations

Here's the official release from the Chiefs website:

The Chilliwack Chiefs have acquired 19 year old forward Tanner Cochrane off of waivers. The 6’0 ,180lb Kamloops product spent the 2011-12 season playing for the Powell River Kings recording 4 points and 69 penalty minutes in 41regular season  games while collecting 2 points and 15 PIMs in 14 post season contests.

Chiefs General Manager and Head Coach Harvey Smyl says his latest acquisition should add some more grit to the roster, ”Tanner is a very physical player who likes to finish his checks. We expect him to bring some more intensity to our line-up.”

As for Cochrane, he can’t wait to put on the Chiefs uniform, “I am pretty excited to have the chance to play in Chilliwack. The Chiefs have such a great tradition of success on and off of the ice and I hope I can be a part of that.”

The Chiefs first Save on Foods BCHL Showcase game is this Friday at Prospera Centre at 7:30pm vs the Penticton Vees. Ticket packages are available.

Season tickets are on sale for the 2012-13 BCHL season, for more information call 604 392 4433 or visit chilliwackchiefs.net.