Thursday, August 16, 2012

Surrey-North York Trade:

The Surrey Eagles made a bit of a shocking move on Thursday as they traded one of their top returning scorers in forward Sean McGovern (93) to the North York Rangers of the OJHL in exchange for defenceman Brett Seldon (94).

The trade is also the first of the off-season for Eagles head coach and GM Matt Erhart. He's signed a number of recruits, including goaltender Edward Dyson from the now-defunct Dawson Creek Rage of the NAHL, but not made a player-for-player transaction just yet (at least not any that have been made public at this point).

To Surrey Eagles:
D Brett Seldon (94) To North York Rangers:
F Sean McGovern (93) + Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles website:

For Immediate Release: August 16, 2012

Surrey, B.C. - The Surrey Eagles announced today the acquisition of the playing rights of defenseman Brett Seldon (94) from the North York Rangers of the OJHL in exchange for the playing rights of forward Sean McGovern (93) and future considerations.

 “We’re excited to add Brett to the roster,” said Eagles Head Coach and General Manager Matt Erhart. “He’ll provide some more veteran leadership and size to our back end, and we’re thrilled to have him for the upcoming season.”

Seldon is a native of Thornhill, Ontario and has played two seasons with the Rangers tallying 19 points in 88 games. The 18-year old is listed at 6’2 and 195 pounds and was an assistant captain in North York last season.

McGovern spent one season in Surrey and posted 39 points in 59 games. The Eagles would like to wish Sean all the best in his future endeavors.

Make sure to get your 2012-2013 Surrey Eagles season tickets and guarantee the best seats to watch exciting Junior A hockey.  Visit www.surreyeagles.ca or call 604-531-GOAL (4325) for more details.