Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Prince George Solidifies Coaching & Training Staff For 2012-13:

This is posted on the Spruce Kings website today:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PRINCE GEORGE, BC – The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are pleased to announce the hiring of Brad Rihela (pron: rye_hel_la) as the new full-time assistant coach with the organization.

Brad comes to the Spruce Kings from the Lower Mainland where he most recently was a coach within the Seafair Minor Hockey Association and also a head coach with BC Hockey’s High Performance U16 program.

"Brad is a young, enthusiastic coach with a strong passion for the game," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "He will bring with him a high level of energy and will be able to relate and work closely with our players."

"It was important to me to find an assistant coach with a strong commitment to the game," added Hawes. "Someone who can come in and help us strive to be the best organization that we can be while stressing the importance of our organizational core values."

The Spruce Kings also added Prince George resident Blake Buckham to the organization as the goaltending coach. Blake has helped young goaltenders in the Prince George Minor Hockey Association and most recently with the PG Midget Female team last season.

"Blake is a great addition to the organization," said Hawes. "He will work closely with our goaltenders over the course of the season to provide them with the extra support required to be successful."

Jason Garneau (assistant coach) and Colton Buffie (assistant coach/video coach) are back with the Spruce Kings for another season to assist the head coach, Dave Dupas.

Tom Bohmer has stepped back from his role as assistant coach and will act as an organizational consultant while remaining on the board of directors.

The team's head trainer, Bill Baldridge is back for another season as is the long-time equipment manager, Malcolm "Relic" Poburan who is entering his 31st season as equipment manager.