Thursday, August 16, 2012

Prince George-Canmore Trade:

The Prince George Spruce Kings have now traded away two players they acquired from AJHL teams last season as yesterday they moved forward Zack Rassell back to the Canmore Eagles for future considerations.

Earlier this off-season, the Spruce Kings moved goaltender Ty Swabb, also to the Eagles, after acquiring him from the St. Albert Steel back on December 1, 2011.

By trading Rassell, Prince George GM Mike Hawes gives himself another 20-year-old spot heading into the 2012-13 season as he only one available prior to the deal.

To Canmore Eagles:
F Zack Rassell (92) To Prince George Spruce Kings:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Eagles website:

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 – The Canmore Eagles of the Alberta Junior Hockey League are very pleased to announce that they have re-acquired power forward Zack Rassell from the Prince George Spruce Kings in exchange for future considerations.

The 6’1”, 195-pound, 20-year-old was dealt to Prince George at the trade deadline last year after playing for the Eagles for the previous two and a half seasons. While in an Eagle uniform last season, Rassell registered nine goals and 19 assists in 38 games. During the 2010-2011 season, Rassell registered 21 points in 41 games for the Eagles before breaking his hand blocking a shot that ended his season early.

“We are extremely pleased to welcome Zack back into our lineup,” said Eagle’s Head Coach and General Manager Andrew Milne. “I’ve known Zack for a few years now and he will provide us with leadership, size and skill. He understands what it takes to be successful in the AJHL. This will be Zack’s final year of eligibility for a college or university scholarship, so I have no doubt that he will be very motivated to have an outstanding season.”

“I am absolutely ecstatic to be coming back to Canmore” said Rassell, who indicated that he has been training very hard this summer and is expecting to report to training camp in the best shape of his life. “I am so lucky to have a second chance to resume my hockey career in Canmore. Canmore is such a great place to play junior hockey. I really missed the town, the players and my billet family. My heart is in Canmore!”

Ironically, with his return to Canmore, Rassell will be re-united with new Eagle goaltender Ty Swabb, who was also obtained from Prince George in the off-season.

“Canmore fans will be very impressed with Ty – he is an excellent goaltender,” said Rassell. “He ended the Penticton Vee’s 42 game winning streak pretty much by himself with an unbelievable performance. Ty will be huge for the Eagles this season. He was one of my best friends on the PG team, so it will be fun to play hockey with him again.”

With the addition of Rassell, the Eagles now have the potential of seven 20-year-olds on their roster. Only six 20-year-olds are allowed to dress for any given game. The other 20-year olds currently on the roster include goaltenders Ty Swabb and Michael Salmon, defencemen Ciaron Driscoll and Alex Barnes, and forwards Riley Point and Steven Phee.