Friday, August 24, 2012

Garrett McMullen Named Captain for the Trail Smoke Eaters for 2012-13:

(Photo credit: Trail Smoke Eaters)

The Trail Smoke Eaters announced the first part of their leadership core on Thursday, as second year forward Garrett McMullen was named captain for 2012-13.

F Garrett McMullen (92)
Here's the release from the Smokies website:

TRAIL – The Trail Smoke Eaters are pleased to announce forward Garrett McMullen will serve as team captain for the 2012-13 BCHL season.

McMullen, a native of Rochester, New York, is entering his 20 year-old season, his second in the BCHL. McMullen scored 36 points (17-19) in 53 games with the Smoke Eaters in 2011-12 after being acquired early in the season from the Powell River Kings.

“I’m honoured and excited to be named captain of the Smoke Eaters,” said McMullen.

“We have high expectations this season and I’m really looking forward to leading the way for this team.”

“Garrett is a highly-respected member of our team and brings a great work ethic on and off the ice,” stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks.

“He is a leader on this team and sets a great example for our younger players.”

McMullen becomes the 18th captain in Smoke Eaters BCHL history, inheriting the “C” from now-graduated defenseman Clayton McEwan.

Smoke Eaters training camp runs through Sunday at the Cominco Arena. The 2012-13 BCHL season opener takes place Saturday, September 8th at the Save-On Foods BCHL Showcase in Chilliwack against the Cowichan Valley Capitals.