Thursday, August 16, 2012

Former Salmon Arm Defenceman Michael Glaicar Signs With CHL's Rapid City Rush for 2012-13:

Former Salmon Arm Silverbacks defenceman Michael Glaicar has signed with the Central Hockey League's Rapid City Rush for the 2012-13 season.

D Mike Glaicar This is the release from the Rush's website (I've bold and italicized the part about Glaicar):

(Rapid City, SD) – On Thursday, the Rapid City Rush announced two more players signed for the upcoming 2012-13 Central Hockey League season. Joining the fold is veteran forward Jarrett Konkle and rookie defenseman Mike Glaicar, bringing the total number of players signed to fifteen.

Konkle, 29, is a 6-foot, 200-pound winger that is coming off of one of his best seasons, leading the EIHL’s Dundee Stars with 22 goals in 53 games.

“We’re very excited to get a player with the credentials that Jarrett brings for the upcoming season,” said Rush Head Coach Joe Ferras. “He is a proven goal scorer and has been an impact player everywhere he has played, including the ECHL and AHL levels. He is a dynamic player that can play both wings, has a tremendous shot, and is a player that will go into tough areas to score goals. With the experience that Jarrett brings to the pro game, he knows that he will be looked upon to be a leader both off the ice and in the locker room to help groom all of the new young talented hockey players that we have.”

Prior to taking his game overseas, Konkle spent nearly his entire career in the ECHL where he suited up for six teams, appearing in 246 regular season games. In that span, Konkle totaled 85 goals and 107 assists for 192 points and also added 167 penalty minutes.

“I’m ecstatic to join the Rush,” said Konkle. “Having never played in the CHL, I did a lot of research, asked guys that have played for and against Rapid, and everybody spoke very highly of the organization and town. I hear it’s the toughest place to play if you’re an opponent and I definitely wanted to be a part of such a storied and supported franchise. I’ll be able to add some offensive punch to the lineup, but also focus on my all around game, helping on the penalty kill and in defensive situations. I’m also looking forward to being a leader and working with the younger players on our squad.”

During the 2008-09 season, the Toronto, Ontario native played 13 games for the Binghamton Senators of the AHL where he picked up three points (1G, 2A). After four years of NCAA Division III hockey at Elmira College, the seven-year veteran turned pro with the Elmira Jackals of the UHL in 2005-06.

In addition, the Rush added rookie defenseman Mike Glaicar who brings a 6-foot 5-inch, 220-pound frame to the blueline.

“Mike just completed a very good four-year career at Quinnipiac where he was one of the top defensive d-men in the ECAC,” continued Ferras. “He has tremendous size, plays with an edge, and takes pride in shutting down other teams top players. Having been the top conditioned athlete at his university, we know he takes his training seriously and will come to camp in shape. We’re looking for mike to make the transition from college to pro smoothly and be a physical force on the back end.”

In four years at Quinnipiac University, the 23-year-old Glaicar skated in 139 games where he picked up 12 assists and 104 penalty minutes. In back-to-back years (junior & senior), Glaicar was named the Quinnipiac Strength and Conditioning MVP which is awarded to one male and one female athlete.

“I’m thrilled to join the Rush and get my pro career started,” stated Glaicar. “With all of the research that I’ve done, Rapid City seems like a premier place to play and live. The organization is well run with solid ownership, has a great coach, and a well-established fan base. Personally, I see the pro game matching my style a lot better as opposed to college. I’ll be able to use my size to my advantage since the pro level is more positional and structured.”

Glaicar, a native of Kamloops, British Columbia, is looking to complete his Masters degree in Business by October, just over four years after starting undergraduate classes.