Sunday, August 5, 2012

Cents Unveil 40th Anniversary Logo:

I've been meaning to post this for over a week now, but have been focused on other posts and haven't gotten around to it.

Helping to design this logo is one of the things I'm most proud of in all of my years of involvement in the BCHL and specifically the Centennials. I looked at what other teams around the hockey world have done to commemorate their different anniversary seasons in terms of logos and noted what I liked and didn't like.

I like the fact that the logo doesn't take away from the Cents' original logo in that it is still the most prominent part of the anniversary logo, yet the ribbons add a "commemorative" feel to it.

Here's the media release I did up for the Cents when the logo was released, as always, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments section:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - July 27, 2012

The Merritt Centennials of the BC Hockey League released officially today their 40th anniversary logo, which the team will use throughout the 2012-13 season as it celebrates its 40th consecutive season of junior 'A' hockey in the Nicola Valley.

The logo will be seen on the Cents jerseys, its marketing materials and throughout various digital media platforms during the upcoming season.

The logo consists of the Centennials primary logo, with the base overlapping a sprawling white ribbon with the number 40 on the left side and the word "years" on the right side, with the BCHL logo in the middle. Below the white ribbon is a smaller red ribbon with the words, "Established 1973" to commemorate the 1973-74 season that the franchise was moved from White Rock to Merritt. The anniversary logo will be on the shoulder of the Centennials jerseys for the 2012-13 season.

The Cents 40th season will see the return of several favorite faces throughout the year as previous players will be remembered and incorporated. The Centennials invite all of the Nicola Valley to be a part of their 40th Anniversary season beginning in September.

“This is a milestone season for the Centennials organization and given its rich history and tradition, one we’re excited to celebrate,” said Cents Media & Communications Coordinator Brian Wiebe, who helped design the logo along with the staff at Merritt Printing. “The Cents have accomplished some wonderful things over the years, both on and off the ice, and there are so many individuals in our community - past and present - who deserve credit.”

Wiebe added, “Reflecting on how far our storied franchise has come over four decades, it’s amazing to think what began as a group of Merritt businessmen - Jim Flux, Len Pare, Bill Pooley, John Mulvey and Don Dewinetz - purchasing the White Rock Centennials in January of 1974 has evolved into what is today the longest continuously run team in the BC Hockey League and, more importantly, one of the most revered thanks to the efforts of those early pioneers."

The Centennials 40th regular season commences on Saturday, Sept. 8th.

For more information, please contact Cents Media & Communications Coordinator Brian Wiebe at 604-916-8448 or info@merrittcentennials.com

Follow the Cents on Twitter at @BCHLCentennials and on Facebook.com/MerrittCentennials.

Season tickets are still available for the 2012-13 season. For more information on how to get yours, call the Cents Marketing office at 250-378-3604.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 40 seasons as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, are a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.