Friday, August 3, 2012

BCHL Roster Rules for 2012-13:

I know the BCHL announced a number of changes to rosters after the AGM in June, and I thought I'd recap them and the other rules as we are just over a month away from the start of the 2012-13 season.

These are directly from various sections of the BCHL website. My comments are in italics after the rule.

- The BCHL Roster limit is 22 players at any time, 20 of which are eligible to dress and participate in any regular season or play-off game. (Up from 21 in 2011-12.)

- An injured player can be placed on long-term injured reserve and another brought in to fill that spot.

- Teams must have a minimum of two players 17-years-old or younger on their active roster. Failure to comply would result in the offending team losing a roster spot for each player under that minimum. (In 2011-12, teams were required to have a minimum of one 17-year-old player and one 16-year-old player.)

- A team may only have 8 import players on their roster at any one time and may sign maximum of 12 during a season. (An import is any player transferring into BC from out of province after finishing last season in another branch - ie Alberta. A player is only considered an import for his first season in BC.)

- A maximum of 17 "veteran" players may dress in any single game. (Meaning a team must dress a minimum of 3 "rookie" players in each game.)

- Once a player has signed a CHA playing certificate (also known as a "card"), players are bound by the regulations of Hockey Canada and movement to other teams is restricted. (When players are "traded", the actual process is that they've been released by their current team with the agreement that they'll be signed to a CHA playing certificate by their new team.)