Thursday, August 16, 2012

Alberni Valley-Drumheller Trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs got into the action as a flurry of BCHL trades came down in the last 24 hours, sending forward Justin Morello (92) to the AJHL's Drumheller Dragons for the junior 'A' rights to defenceman Darian Henry (94).

It's the second time this summer that Henry's been traded as earlier in the WHL, the Everett Silvertips moved him to the Calgary Hitmen. He will try out for Calgary next month, but if he doesn't make the team and the Hitmen want him to return to junior 'A', then it'll be with the Bulldogs.

For Morello, it's a homecoming of sorts as he played 76 games in Drumheller to start his junior career back in 2008-09. By trading him, the Bulldogs have also freed up another 20-year-old spot heading into the season.

To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
D Darian Henry (94) To Drumheller Dragons:
F Justin Morello (92)

Here's the release from the Bulldogs website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to announce that the organization has aquired the playing rights to 1994-born defenseman Darian Henry from the Drumheller Dragons in the AJHL in exchange for the playing rights of 1992-born forward Justin Morello.

Henry started the 2011/12 campaign with the Everett Silvertips in the WHL after being selected by the ‘Tips in the 7th round of the 2009 WHL bantam draft. Henry registered only one assist in 16 games in Everett before being reassigned to Drumheller, registering one goal, two assists, and 62 penalty minutes, also in 16 games. Henry is a big, physical, stay-at-home defenseman who is 6’3” and 170lbs.

“Given the opportunity to acquire Darian Henry, we knew that we had to give up some talent to get his talent,” said Alberni Valley Bulldogs head coach Kevin Willison. “We are always looking to upgrade our defensive core, either immediately or for the near future,” continued Willison. “A defenseman that has Western Hockey League experience will give us valuable experience this season and for years to come.”

Henry will start the season with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League after the club recently acquired his rights from Everett.

To acquire Henry, the Alberni Valley Bulldogs sent 1992-born forward Justin Morello to the Drumheller Dragons. Morello was limited to 30 games in 2011/12 for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs due to injuries. Morello posted 28 points in 30 games.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs would like to thank Justin for the contributions he made to our organization and wish him all the best with Drumheller.