Thursday, July 26, 2012

Vernon-Victoria Trade:

I'm not positive, but I think this may be the last of the future considerations owed to Victoria from last season's fire sale at the BCHL trade deadline.

It hasn't been announced on either team's website, but it was confirmed in the Victoria Times-Colonist newspaper that the Grizzlies have acquired D Turner Lawson (94) from Vernon as the future considerations to the December 12, 2011 trade that saw D Sean Robertson join the Vipers from Victoria.

So here's how the trade finally breaks down:

To Victoria Grizzlies:
D Turner Lawson (94)
F Zach McPhee (93)
To Vernon Vipers:
D Sean Robertson (91)
I've bolded the portion of the article in the Times-Colonist referring to this trade:

Grizzlies deal for veteran Vees blue-liner Jones

Victoria Grizzlies general manager and head coach Bill Bestwick said last week that he was working the phones in anticipation of more trades as the B.C. Hockey League season nears.

What may be surprising, in his most recent move, is he added yet another defencemen to the mix, sending forward Alex Holland to the Royal Bank Cup champion Penticton Vees for D.J. Jones.

The Vees then turned around and moved Holland to the Trail Smoke Eaters as the national champions continue to make several moves of late.

"It's imperative that we are sound in our defensive zone and that we have strong character and experience," Bestwick said of adding the five-foot-nine, 170-pounder who turns 20 on Aug. 29.

"He brings experience, maturity and knowledge of what it takes to win a championship," Bestwick added of Jones, a Plymouth, Minnesota, native who had a goal and six assists in 24 games with Penticton. He also played 26 games for Surrey, where he managed a goal and four helpers.
Holland, 20, had 17 goals and 17 helpers in 60 games with the Grizzlies.

Bestwick also recently added 18-year-old Turner Lawson to the roster as part of the future considerations deal that moved former Grizzlies' captain Sean Robertson to Vernon last season. Lawson, listed at six-foot, 170 pounds, had one goal and three assists in 50 games with the Vipers.

Victoria is also set to announce its captain for the upcoming season with a news conference slated for Thursday at noon. Former Nanaimo Clipper Brett Hartskamp, recently acquired via trade, should be among the favourites.

In other BCHL moves Tuesday, the Cowichan Valley Capitals acquired forward Grant Nicholson from Penticton. Going to the Vees is defenceman Djordje Leposavic.

Nicholson, 19, is a shut-down forward who had 14 points in 59 regular-season games for the Vees and played in all post-season games for Penticton.