Monday, July 23, 2012

Salmon Arm-Nipawin Trade:

The flurry of trade activity continues in the BCHL, with training camps just over a month away. A trade announced between Salmon Arm and Nipawin of the SJHL has me a little confused, mainly because the player being moved has already committed to an NCAA school for this September.

The Silverbacks announced that they've traded the rights to F Stefan Nicholishen (93) to the Hawks for future considerations. Back in 2009 as a member of the Penticton Vees, Nicholishen committed to the University of Nebraska-Omaha for a September 2013 start, but logic dictates that Nipawin wouldn't have traded for him if he wasn't going to play, so my gut feeling is that he'll play with the Hawks this season.

Here's the details on the trade:

To Nipawin Hawks:
F Stefan Nicholishen (93)
To Salmon Arm Silverbacks:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Silverbacks website:
The Salmon Arm SilverBacks are busy on the trade front again, moving forward Stefan Nicholishen to the SJHL's Nipawin Hawks in return for future considerations.

Nicholishen, a 19 year old Penticton native who is a former member of both the Penticton Vees and West Kelowna Warriors; notched four goals and three assists over 46 games with the SilverBacks in 2011-2012.

The 'Backs would like to thank Stefan for his efforts with the organization over the past year while wishing him the best of luck as he continues his  Junior 'A' career and moves on to College.