Thursday, July 26, 2012

Penticton-Trail-Victoria-Cowichan Valley Trade:

(New Penticton forward Sam Mellor - pictured here with the University of Alaska-Anchorage)

The Vees have made their second multiple-team, multiple-player trade in just a few days. Whereas the previous move was a four team deal, this one is technically a five team transaction involving Penticton, Trail, Cowichan Valley and Victoria of the BCHL, plus North Bay of the NOJHL.

The first move, which I blogged about earlier, saw Cowichan pick up D Djordje Lepasovic (92) from North Bay for futures.

From there, the Capitals moved Lepasovic to Penticton for F Grant Nicholson (93) and future considerations.

Then, the Vees acquired F Alex Holland (92) from Victoria for D D.J. Jones (92).

Finally, Penticton flipped Holland, Lepasovic and future considerations to Trail for F Sam Mellor (92), who as I blogged earlier this summer, is back in the BCHL as a 20-year-old after spending last season with the University of Alaska-Anchorage.

So, in terms of which team gets what, it breaks down like this:

To Penticton Vees:
F Sam Mellor (92)
To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Alex Holland (92)
D Djordje Lepasovic (92)
+ Future Considerations

To Victoria Grizzlies:
D D.J. Jones (92)
To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
F Grant Nicholson (93) + Future Considerations

Here's the release again from the Vees website, with the details on this deal in bold:

VEES LAND TWO PLAYERS IN MULTIPLE TRADES
PENTICTON, BC– The Penticton Vees Hockey Club were involved in a six team, eight player trade on Tuesday. The Vees acquired forward Sam Mellor (92) from the Trail Smoke Eaters and defenseman Rob Mann (92) from the Markham Waxers.

As part of the multi-team transaction, the Vees traded defenseman DJ Jones (92) to the Victoria Grizzlies and forward Grant Nicholson (93) to the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

In acquiring Mellor, the Vees were involved in two separate deals with the Capitals and Grizzlies. The Vees traded Nicholson to the Caps’ for the rights to defenseman Djordje Leposavic (92). Penticton also sent Jones to the Grizzlies for forward Alex Holland (92). The Vees then packaged the rights of Leposavic and Holland to the Trail Smoke Eaters for Mellor.

Mellor, 20, spent the 2011-2012 season at the University of Alaska-Anchorage in the WCHA. In his freshman season, the Cranbrook native tallied four goals and nine points in 33 games. Prior to Alaska, Mellor played two seasons as a Trail Smoke Eater, where he collected 61 goals and 130 points in 104 games. Mellor also brings international experience as he played on Team Canada West in the 2010 World Junior ‘A’ Challenge.

Penticton Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson acknowledges the teams’ need upfront, “We lost a lot of scoring from our lineup but now feel we have done a good job addressing that need. The addition of Sam not only brings a proven point producer but also brings experience to our group.”

The Vees were involved in another multiple team transaction in landing Robert Mann. The Vees first acquired the rights of both defenseman Ryan Wells (93) from the Nanaimo Clippers and goaltender Curtis Martinu (92) from the Drayton Valley Thunder. In the acquisition for Mann the Vees traded Wells and Martinu to the Markham Waxers.

Mann hails from Oshawa, Ontario and spent the last two seasons between the Whitby Fury and Waxers of the Ontario Junior Hockey League. Last season the 6’4 rear-guard collected three goals and 30 points in 40 games split between Whitby and Markham. He is committed to Robert Morris University for the 2013-2014 season.

When asked about Mann, Harbinson states that “Rob is an imposing d-man that can play a two-way game. At 6’4 215 lbs. Rob will bring a physical element along with a strong skill set that will help reconstruct our backend.”

Adding players like Mellor and Mann to the roster come at a price. “We had to give up to very good kids; two character kids in the process. Both DJ and Grant will now have the opportunity for a larger role under two very well-respected coaches in Victoria and Cowichan Valley.”

The Penticton Vees organization welcomes both Sam and Robert to the South Okanagan. Also the Vees would like to thank  DJ and Grant for their contributions to the team and the community.