Friday, July 27, 2012

Penticton-Toronto Trade:

(New Penticton defenceman James De Haas - photo courtesy of OJHL)

In a deal that's been rumoured about and worked on for over a month, Penticton swung yet another trade today, finalizing the acquisition of D James De Haas from the OJHL's Toronto Lakeshore Patriots in exchange for F Mike Sones (92).

I first heard of De Haas going to Penticton back in June after he was drafted to the Detroit Red Wings and this was posted on their website:
JAMES de HAAS, D, 6th ROUND, No. 170: “He's a defenseman, 6-2, got good range, skates well, he'll play in Penticton BC junior for one season and then he'll go to college after that at Clarkson (University).”
I Tweeted that the Vees had picked him up but De Haas himself plus Toronto denied that any deal was done at that point. I don't know how the Red Wings knew that De Haas was coming to Penticton, but somehow along the line, the trade waters got murky and it took until now to sort it out.

To Penticton Vees:
D James De Haas (94)

To Toronto Lakeshore Patriots:
F Mike Sones (92)

Here's the official release from the Vees website:

VEES ADD ANOTHER PIECE TO THEIR BLUE-LINE

PENTICTON, BC – The Penticton Vees Hockey Club has acquired defenseman James De Haas (94) from the Toronto Lakeshore Patriots, for the rights of forward Mike Sones (92).

De Haas played 45 games in 2011-2012, where he collected 10 goals, 29 points and 32 Penalty-Minutes. In 21 playoff games, De Haas accumulated five goals and 12 points, helping the Patriots to a Conference Championship appearance. The 18 year-old was drafted this past June by the Detroit Red Wings in the sixth round, 170th overall. De Haas is committed for Clarkson University, for the fall of 2013.

Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson says De Haas is someone the Vees had on their radar for a while, “We’ve been hard at work on this deal for quite some time. James has all the tools, size, quick feet and smart puck moving ability. We are very fortunate to add a player with James skill set and determination.”

Clarkson University is located in Potsdam, New York and play in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference in NCAA Division l Hockey. The Golden Knights have made 20 NCAA postseason appearances, winning five ECAC tournament titles and 10 regular-season championships in their 90 year history. Former Vee, Ben Sexton will captain the Golden Knights in 2012-2013. Notable NHL alumni include Erik Cole and Willie Mitchell, both Stanley Cup Champions.

De Haas checks in a 6’3 and 200 lbs. adding more size to the Vees blue-line. The De Haas trade comes on the heels of another acquisition, where the Vees added another sizable defenseman Rob Mann, from the Markham Waxers.

The first chance to see the new acquisitions will be August 23rd, when the Vees open their Main Camp at the SOEC.