Thursday, July 12, 2012

Coquitlam-Yarmouth Trade:

The Coquitlam Express traded the junior A rights of F Cody Castro (92) to the Maritime Junior Hockey League's Yarmouth Mariners for future considerations in another trade that has me a little perplexed.

The only reason why I'm perplexed by this deal is that I was under the impression that the Express didn't own the rights to Castro anymore and that he was essentially a junior A "free agent". On August 23, 2011, Eddie Gregory posted this on his "Coquitlam Expressions" blog:
Some player personnel decisions have already been made involving players who finished the season with the Express last year as Jake Charles, Cameron Lawson, Tyler Griffith and Cody Castro have been released.
So I'm wondering if the Express actually released Castro from his Hockey Canada card, or simply retained his junior A rights while telling him that he wouldn't be on the team last season and he wound up playing nine games with the WHL's Portland Winterhawks. Either way, if Castro wants to play out his final year of junior hockey, it'll be in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia or maybe back with Portland, but as an overaged player, I'd say not. The release from Yarmouth certainly sounds like he's going there.

To Yarmouth Mariners:
F/D Cody Castro (92)

To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Mariners:

The Yarmouth Mariners have acquired veteran WHL Defenseman Cody Castro of the Portland Winterhawks. Castro, a 6' 1" 217lbs defenseman who hails from Pasadena, California, comes to Yarmouth highly regarded by Winterhawks Head Coach and General Manager Mike Johnston as tough and reliable defenseman.

"We are very pleased and fortunate to have acquired the Junior A rights to Cody Castro and we are very excited to welcome Cody at training camp next month", said Mariners Head Coach and General Manager Laurie Barron. "Cody brings a great deal of experience to our club and will add a huge component to what is shaping up to be a strong blueline. We anticipate this season to be another successful one and Cody will play a huge role".