Thursday, July 5, 2012

Alberni Valley-Trail Trade:

I'm a little behind on getting this posted on the blog, but I did tweet (@Brian_Wiebe) it a couple of days ago.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs opened up a 20-year-old spot on their roster by trading F Tyler Berkholtz (92) to the Trail Smoke Eaters for future considerations.

The Dogs currently have six 20-year-olds, which is the BCHL maximum, but it's likely that number is reduced by at least one. Matt Larose (92) is still listed on Alberni Valley's roster, but the fact that the Bulldogs have already committed to Brad Rebagliati (95) and they recently acquired Jay Deo (92) from the AJHL's Calgary Mustangs, means the crease is mighty crowded.

I doubt they'd keep two 20-year-old netminders so something's got to give in that department. If it is Larose who's moved, I think he'll do well wherever he ends up as I was really impressed with him as a member of the Trail Smoke Eaters back in 2010-11.

In Berkholtz, the Smoke Eaters add another veteran who they hope leads them back to the playoff picture in the Interior Conference. The Penticton resident has three BCHL seasons under his belt and looks like he could improve on his 32 points in 47 games, especially as it is his last season of junior hockey.

Regardless, here's how this deal breaks down:

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Tyler Berkholtz (92) To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Bulldogs website announcing the trade:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have also traded 1992-born forward Tyler Berkholtz to the Trail Smoke Eaters for future considerations.

The Bulldogs would like to thank Tyler for his contributions to the community and our organization over the last three seasons. We wish Tyler all the best in his future aspirations.