Monday, June 4, 2012

Vernon-Trail Trade:

The details of last season's future considerations continue to be released around the BCHL and we found out about the completion of another trade today.

The original transaction on January 10th was this:

The Trail Smoke Eaters trade the playing rights of Clayton Chessa (91)(F) to the Vernon Vipers in exchange for future considerations.

Now we know that the futures going to Trail are defenceman Max Mowat (93). There are rumours (specifically on the BCHL Message Board) that the deal was originally to be forward Brendan Persley (93) and he balked at going to Trail, but no word if there's any truth to that. (Most things on that message board should be taken with a grain of salt!)

Anyway, how the deal breaks down now, is like this:

To Vernon:
F Clayton Chessa (91)

To Trail:
D Max Mowat (93)

Here's the release from the Smoke Eaters website:

TRAIL -- The Trail Smoke Eaters have announced the completion of a trade with the Vernon Vipers.

The Smokies have acquired the playing rights to defenseman Max Mowat (93) from the Vipers, to complete a transaction from January.

Mowat, from Vernon, BC, has played 80 games in the BCHL, totalling 3 goals and 25 points. The 5'11", 185 lb blueliner also a member of the Vipers' 2011 Fred Page Cup championship team, and appeared in 2 games at the 2011 RBC Cup in Camrose, Alberta.

"To get a guy with that kind of winning experience is huge for the players in our dressing room," stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks. "Max will be a leader on our team next year and I anticipate he will play in all situations on our blue line."

"He's a physical player with a good first pass, and very quick feet," Birks added.

The Smoke Eaters would like to welcome Max Mowat to the organization.

For further information, please contact the Smoke Eaters office at (250) 364.9994.

And here's the release from the Vipers website:

The Vernon Vipers hockey club has completed a trade with the Trail Smoke Eaters. Max Mowat has been traded to Trail which completes the futures trade that brought Colton Cyr to Vernon at the January 10th trade deadline.

The Vernon Vipers would like to thank Max for his contribution to the hockey club and would like to wish him well in his future endeavours.

For more information please contact the Vipers office at 250 542 6022.