Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Nanaimo-Swan Valley Trade:

While a former coach of the Clippers is making headlines for returning to the BCHL with Victoria (more on Bill Bestwick to the Grizzlies tomorrow), Nanaimo is doing its own part in staying noteworthy as Mike Vandekamp swung a big 3-for-1 trade today.

The deal sees the Clippers acquire a number one goaltender while creating a bit more room to add 20-year-old players by sending two out.

If you're wondering how Bourbeau wound up as Nanaimo property, he is the future considerations in a January 10th trade with the now-defunct Dawson Creek Rage which saw D Zach Ovics (93) join the NAHL team.

There is a question mark to the trade, and that's whether or not F Mike Sones (92) winds up in Swan Valley as he's commited to Mercyhurst University starting with the 2012-13 season. The only way I can see him playing with the Stampeders this coming season is if Mercyhurst feels that he could use another year at the junior A level.

Nonetheless, this is how today's deal breaks down:

To Nanaimo:
G Jayson Argue (93)

To Swan Valley:
F Mike Sones (92)

F Brett Hartskamp (92)

G Paul Bourbeau (92)
Here's the release from the Clippers website:

The Nanaimo Clippers Hockey Club would like to announce that we have acquired Goaltender Jayson Argue from the Swan Valley Stampeders (93) in exchange for Forwards Mike Sones (92), Brett Hartskamp (92), and Goaltender Paul Bourbeau (92). Bourbeau was acquired by the Clippers as future considerations in a deal reached at the January 10th deadline with the Dawson Creek Rage.

In his two seasons with the Stampeders, Argue, a 6ft 180lb native of Swan River, MB, received an impressive four team awards, three league awards and was a finalist for Canadian Jr. A Hockey Player of the Year.

2010-2011  Stampeders Rookie of the Year
2011-2012  Stampeders Regular Season MVP
2011-2012  Stampeders Playoff MVP
2011-2012  Stampeders Fan Favorite
2011-2012  MJHL 1st All Star Team
2011-2012  MJHL Top Goaltender
2011-2012  MJHL MVP
2011-2012  CJHL Player of the Year Finalist

In addition to the welcoming Jayson to Nanaimo, the Clippers would like to thank Mike and Brett for their contribution to our Hockey Club and wish them all the best in the future.