Friday, June 29, 2012

Langley-Surrey Trade:

I meant to post this a couple of days ago, but the Langley Rivermen picked up some goaltending insurance from Surrey as they acquired G Conor Barrie (93) from the Eagles for future considerations.

I would expect that the Rivermen go into the 2012-13 season with James Barr (93) and Barrie as their netminders, but I can't expect that Surrey is going to hand its goaltending duties to rookie Glenn Ferguson (94) so there's likely a big recruit or trade in the works for the Eagles to grab a number one goalie. We'll see.

Meantime, here's how this deal breaks down...

To Langley Rivermen:
G Conor Barrie (93)
To Surrey Eagles:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Langley website:

Township of Langley, BC, Thursday, June 28, 2012: The Langley Rivermen Junior “A” Hockey Club is pleased to announce the acquisition of goaltender Conor Barrie from the Surrey Eagles in exchange for future considerations. This past year was Conor’s first year in the BCHL where he recorded 6 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie in 11 games played to go along with 3.49 goals against average and a .885 save percentage.

“I think it is a pretty good opportunity for me and talking to the coaching staff this morning, they seem really excited and I can’t wait to head out there in August and get started,” Barrie said.

Barrie believes the Rivermen will have a strong team next season as he noticed quite the difference in their play at the latter half of last year,

“You could tell by watching them that they were making some pretty big strides and would be ready to compete come next season and I hope I can contribute anyway I can”.

Rivermen Associate Head Coach Jordan Emmerson really liked what he saw from Barrie last season,

“He played real well against us last season and is a guy that moves well and is technically sound in the net,” Emmerson said, “he provides stability with James Barr coming back with us and we expect Conor to come in and do a good job”.