Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Penticton-Westside Trade:

With only seven players eligible to return for 2012-13, the RBC Cup champion Penticton Vees started to reload for next season with their first trade of the summer.

It's a little surprising, but the Westside Warriors swung a pretty big deal with the Vees, sending forward Travis Blanleil to Penticton for future considerations. The reason why I say it's surprising is that often teams don't like to trade within their division, knowing that the player they've dealt away could come back and burn them upwards of eight times during the season.

I like the deal for Penticton (depending on what the futures are, of course) because Blanleil has put up decent points in the BCHL as a 16-and-17 year old and could definitely be poised for a breakout year with the Vees as an  18-year-old.

To Penticton:
F Travis Blanleil (94)
To Westside:
Future Considerations

Here's the release from the Vees website:

The Penticton Vees Junior Hockey Club is pleased to announce the acquisition of forward Travis Blanleil (94) from the Westside Warriors for Future Considerations.

Blanleil, 18, has just completed his second season in the BCHL with the Warriors, registering 15 goals and 32 points in 57 games. The Kelowna native is a veteran forward, playing in over 100 games despite only turning 18 this past March. Blanleil entered the BCHL with the Warriors as a 16 year-old in the fall of 2009 after graduating from the Okanangan Rockets Major Midget program.

Vees Head Coach & GM, Fred Harbinson likes what Blanleil brings to the Vees; “Travis adds another veteran presence to our line-up and that’s crucial considering how many players we’re graduating to college.  He’s a speedy forward who has a nose for the net and poses an underrated skill-set.”

In 113 career games, Blanleil has fashioned together 24 goals and 57 points, accompanied by 92 penalty-minutes. Travis is the second Blanleil to play junior hockey, his older brother Chad split three seasons between the BCHL and AJHL.

Vees fans will get their first look at the newest Vee in August when the Vees hold their annual Junior Prep Camp, the precursor to training camp.

Here's the release from the Warriors website:

The Westside Warriors have traded the rights of forward Travis Blanleil (94) to the Penticton Vees for future considerations.

Blanleil just completed his second season with the Warriors registering 15 goals and 32 points in 57 games. The Kelowna native is a veteran forward with two years experience in the BCHL.

“Travis was a good player on and off the ice for 2 years with us.  We wish him nothing but success in all his future endeavours,” says Warriors Head Coach/GM Rylan Ferster.

In 113 career games, Blanleil tallied 24 goals and 57 points, and 92 penalty-minutes.