Monday, February 20, 2012

Paul Kelly Resigns as Head of College Hockey Inc:

In a move that may have a significant impact on the BCHL and junior A hockey overall, former NHLPA head Paul Kelly resigned from the same post with College Hockey Inc. this afternoon.

This was posted on the US College Hockey Online (USCHO) website:

Paul Kelly resigned Monday as executive director of College Hockey Inc., the promotional and marketing group for Division I men’s college hockey.

The announcement was made by the Hockey Commissioners Association, which is comprised of the commissioners of the five D-I men’s conferences.

“The HCA would like to thank Paul for his service to CHI and wish him the best in his future endeavors,” Steve Hagwell, Hockey Commissioners Association president and ECAC Hockey commissioner, said in a statement.

The commissioners group also said in the statement that it expects to discuss a “different course” for the executive director position. A replacement for Kelly was not immediately announced.

Kelly, the former executive director of the National Hockey League Players Association, was hired in November 2009 by the commissioners to run College Hockey Inc.