Thursday, January 12, 2012

Victoria-Cobourg Trade:

Details are a couple of days late and it still hasn't been confirmed on the BCHL website, but media in Ontario have confirmed that the Victoria Grizzlies traded D Taylor Pernerowski (91) to the OJHL's Cobourg Cougars at the trade deadline for future considerations.

And thus completes the fire sale in Victoria, with a ton of future considerations in the form of cash and/or players for next season coming to the Grizzlies in exchange.

To Cobourg:
D Taylor Pernerowski (91)

To Victoria:
Future Considerations

Here's the article from the Northumberland Today newspaper:

Cougars add Pernerowski to bolster lineup
By JEFF GARD

COBOURG — With the Ontario Junior Hockey League regular season winding down and the playoffs forthcoming, the Cobourg Cougars have bolstered their lineup by adding a 20-year-old defenceman.

Taylor Pernerowski was acquired Tuesday from the Victoria Grizzlies of the British Columbia Hockey League. The transaction deadline was 11:59 p.m. that day.

Cougars general manager Todd Diminie and head coach Justin Teakle spent from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. that day in club's office at the Cobourg Community Centre.

"We watched the trade wire, even the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) wires, looking for players," Diminie said Wednesday. "We had several phone calls from other teams interested in some of our guys, but we wanted to hang on to our guys. We didn't want to move any of our players."

Diminie wasn't committed to adding a player, either, at least not for the sake of just doing so. Earlier this week he said it would have be an impact player coming Cobourg's way, if a move was made. He also didn't want to damage the chemistry amongst the current players, in addition to wanting to stay as loyal as possible to the players who have the Cougars sitting second in the OJHL's East Division; four points behind the Trenton Golden Hawks and eight ahead of the Wellington Dukes.

Pernerowski appears to be the perfect fit, as it regards bolstering the lineup without disrupting chemistry.

Diminie called Pernerowski "an exceptional d-man, a smooth skater, great hands, moves the puck well — tape-to-tape passes every time — great vision on the ice...probably one of the smartest d-man I've seen.

"We made our team better, without giving up anything," the GM added.

Where the chemistry fits in, Pernerowski is from Whitby and many of the current Cougars are from the Durham region as well. Either as former teammates, summer hockey/workouts, or through mutual friends, he already knows Anton and Andrew Zupancic, Derek Foote, Jake Flegel, Keinan Brown, Evan Jasper and Dylon McMahon.

"It's kind of weird stepping into a room that you haven't been in before and you know a good chunk of the players," Pernerowski said before practice on Wednesday. "It makes it a lot easier on me for the transition."

A couple of other times he's been traded, Pernerowski knew no more than one other person.

"There was a little bit of an adjustment (those times)," he said. "The first couple days are a little quiet and you keep to yourself and then you open up and guys open up to you. I just got here so I haven't seen what it's like, but it seems like it will definitely be an easier transition than I've been used to before."

The majority of Pernerowski's previous OJHL experience, starting in the 2007-08 season, has been in Trenton (with the Quinte West Pack, Trenton Hercs and the Golden Hawks). He was traded late in the 2008-09 campaign to the former Port Hope Predators. He returned to Trenton when the Predators re-located there to become the Golden Hawks.

His best offensive season was in the 2009-2011 campaign with the Golden Hawks where he registered 46 points (10 goals, 36 assists) in 53 games. He played just seven games last season with Trenton before being dealt out west to Victoria (he had five goals and 12 assists in 21 games there).

"I'm definitely excited to be back close to home and playing for a contending team," Pernerowski said. "(Cobourg's) record speaks for itself. They're a solid team and I just hope to contribute on the back end, maybe a little bit on the power play, and just help the team as much as I can."

Victoria has struggled this season and by Tuesday traded most of its veteran players. Pernerowski got injured in early December and the team let him go home early for Christmas. He didn't return to Victoria. The Grizzlies ultimately gave him permission to speak with other clubs. He spoke with teams in several different leagues, looking for the best fit.

There was a lot of interest in Pernerowski (according to the player himself as well as Diminie). In the end, Cobourg was the best option.

"I was just kind of set on playing close to home for a top team," Pernerowski said. "I was very excited to get the opportunity to play here."

Pernerowski, who is in his final junior year and is hoping to gain a hockey scholarship, said he enjoyed his time with the Victoria Grizzlies.

"B.C. is an awesome place. The league is very competitive and I definitely became a better hockey player from when I went there until now," he said. "I'm just happy to be on a top team that has a shot at winning the division and going a long way."

Pernerowski just wants to make his presence felt on the ice, in a positive way.

"Obviously I'm not try to change anything, I'm just trying to add to a good thing...just keep it rolling," he said. "I'm an offensive defenceman and I just hope to be able to put up some points. Just try not to step on anybody's toes or get in the way of anything, just gel nicely with the team."

Pernerowski could make his debut Monday night when the Cougars (29-8-1) host the Peterborough Stars (8-27-4). Game time is 7 p.m. at the Cobourg Community Centre.