Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cents Move Into Third in Interior Conference:

By gaining a single point in Penticton last night, the Cents improve to 5-1-0-2 in their last eight games and move into third place in the BCHL's Interior Conference, two points back of the second place Vernon Vipers.

Merritt has a one point lead over Westside and Prince George, but both the Warriors and Spruce Kings have a game in hand on the Centennials. The Cents are three points clear of Chilliwack, but the Chiefs have three games in hand.

Here's the summary from each of the last two games (from merrittcentennials.com):

Cents Fall 5-4 in OT to Penticton, but Single Point Moves Them Into 3rd

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Penticton, BC - October 29, 2011

Connor Reilly scored with just 58 seconds left in overtime as the Merritt Centennials fell 5-4 to the Penticton Vees in the BC Hockey League action Saturday evening at the South Okanagan Events Centre.

Jakob Reichert scored twice for the Centennials (6-5-1-3) while Billy Marshall and Dustin Lebrun notched a goal each. Dylan Chanter, Silvan Harper, Sean Maktaak, Brendan Lamont, Richard Sabourin and AP call-up Braeden Hikichi each had an assist in the OT loss.

Mike Reilly, Garrett Hendrickson, Cody DePourcq and Steven Forgarty also scored for the Vees (11-2-0-0-1). Joey Benik pitched in with four assists for Penticton.

Merritt netminder Lino Chimienti made 27 saves in the loss, while Vees goalie Michael Garteig stopped 34 shots for the win.

The Centennials finished the night 0-for-4 on the power play and Penticton wound up 4-for-6 with the man advantage.

With the single point, the Cents now have just one regulation loss in their last eight games and moved into third place in the BCHL's Interior Conference, one point ahead of Westside and Prince George. Merritt is two points back of second place Vernon.

The Centennials next game is in Salmon Arm on Wednesday night, November 2nd, against the Silverbacks.

Cents Edge Salmon Arm 6-5 in Overtime

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Salmon Arm, BC - October 28, 2011

The Merritt Centennials stormed back from 4-1 and 5-2 deficits to defeat the Salmon Arm Silverbacks 6-5 in overtime in BC Hockey League action Friday night at the Sunwave Centre.

Brandon Bruce paced the Centennials (6-5-1-2) offence with three goals, including the winner, while Billy Marshall, Jakob Reichert and Payton Schaefer also scored. Ross Mancuso had two assists in the win while Schaefer, Tyler Martin, Silvan Harper, Brent Fletcher, Sean Maktaak, Dustin Lebrun, and Richard Sabourin also added single helpers.

Devin Muller led Salmon Arm (3-7-0-3) with two goals while Bryce Gervais had a goal and an assist. Brett Knowles ad Alex Gillies added single markers. Morgan Zulinick chipped in with three assists in the loss while Matt Brown had two helpers.

Tyler Steel started the game for Merritt and was pulled after allowing four goals on 11 shots. Lino Chimienti came on in relief and gave up just one goal on 17 shots to get the win. Kurt Williams stood tall in the Silverbacks net. Despite giving up all six Cents goals, he made 43 saves in the loss.

Merritt finished the night 0-for-5 on the power play while Salmon Arm went 2-for-4 with the man advantage.

Merritt's next game is the second of three straight away from home as the Centennials head to Penticton Saturday to face the Vees.

Friday, October 28, 2011

Coquitlam Express Shuffle The Deck:

The Express have been the busiest team in the BCHL on the transaction wire this week, signing two players and sending three packing. It's clear to me that Darcy Rota and Jon Calvano aren't happy with a .500 record through 11 games. I'm also trying to figure out how the BCHL is allowing the Express to operate without a 1995-born player on the roster, they haven't had one since Trevor Stack played with the team earlier this season. Of course, the league rules state that each team has to have a 1994 and 1995 born player on their roster this season.

Here's a summary of what they've been up to...

To Carleton Place Canadians:
F Ben Murphy (92)

To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

To Wellington Dukes:
D Dana Tenenbaum (92)

To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

To Chilliwack Chiefs:
D Matthew Hutchinson (91)

To Coquitlam Express:
Future Considerations

Meanwhile, the Express have signed D Bruin McDonald (92) and F Connor Redmond (92).

D Bruin McDonald (92)

F Connor Redmond (92)

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cents Sign Forward Brayden Low?

I haven't received confirmation from Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce, but this article in the Richmond Review newspaper indicates that F Brayden Low (94), who played with the Centennials as an AP in Friday's 2-0 win over Surrey has signed with the team full-time.

Here's the line on Low:
F Brayden Low (94)

Here's the article:

Low signs with Merritt Centennials

By Don Fennell - Richmond Review
Published: October 26, 2011 1:00 AM

The Richmond Sockeyes’ success has already cost them the services of at least one player to Junior A hockey this season, and more could follow suit.

Gritty forward Brayden Low has signed with the Merritt Centennials of the B.C. Hockey League and was in their lineup during a 2-0 win over the Surrey Eagles last weekend.

Richmond general manager Richard Petrowsky said Low played well in his Centennials’ debut, and the coaching staff was particularly impressed with his strength in the faceoff circle.

Recovering from an off-season knee injury, Low, 17, had one assist in five games with the Sockeyes who retain his Pacific International Junior Hockey League rights. He is also affiliated with the Portland Winter Hawks of the Western Hockey League.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Powell River Kings-Whitby Fury Trade:

With Brandon Tidy moving from their affiliate roster to the main roster, Powell River needed to make a move to get down to 21 players and they did by trading F Luke Laszkiewicz (92) to the Whitby Fury of the OJHL for future considerations.

To Whitby Fury:
F Luke Laszkiewicz (92)

To Powell River Kings:
Future Considerations

Friday, October 21, 2011

Trail Smoke Eaters Release Former Cents Tryout Matt Bissett:

F Matt Bissett, who was in training camp with the Centennials briefly this past August, has been released by the Trail Smoke Eaters in light of their two big trades yesterday.

Bissett was a victim of the numbers game in Trail as it was one man over the limit of 21 allowed on each BCHL roster. He's set to join his hometown Ridge Meadows Flames of the PIJHL.

F Matt Bissett (94)

Trail Smoke Eaters Shake Up Roster:

The Trail Smoke Eaters shook up their core on Thursday, sending D Rajan Sidhu (91) to the Drumheller Dragons of the AJHL for G James D'Andrea (92) and future considerations.

The deal comes a day after Sidhu scored the winning goal as the Smokies upset the first place Penticton Vees.

The BCHL website is yet to post the trade, but Trail has posted it on its website.

Here's how the deal shakes down:

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
G James D'Andrea (92)

+ Future Considerations
To Drumheller Dragons:
D Rajan Sidhu (91)

With the acquisition of D'Andrea, it meant that something had to give between the pipes for the Smoke Eaters, and they relieved their glut of goaltenders by swinging another big trade with Alberni Valley.

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Taylor House (92)

D Marley Keca (93)

D Tanner Hicks (93)

To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
G Matt Larose (92)

D Daniel Del Bianco (94)

D Eric Walker (93)

Here's the official release from Trail's website:

TRAIL, BC -- The Trail Smoke Eaters have completed a pair of trades involving a total of seven players today.

The Smoke Eaters have acquired goaltender James D'Andrea (92) from the AJHL's Drumheller Dragons in exchange for defenseman Rajan Sidhu (91).

"He was a goaltender we've had our eye on for a couple of weeks," stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks, "we're excited to bring him in to our program."

The Smoke Eaters also made a five-player transaction with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs, acquiring defensemen Marley Keca (93) and Tanner Hicks (92) as well as forward Taylor House (92).

In exchange, the Bulldogs receive goaltender Matt Larose (92) and defenseman Daniel DelBianco (94).

"We've acquired two defensemen who can fit into our top four," Birks said, "and House has the skill to be in our top two forward lines."

D'Andrea, a native of Calgary, Alberta, compiled an 11-20-4 record with a 4.11 GAA in 42 AJHL appearances with the Dragons and Calgary Canucks.

Hicks, a fellow Calgarian, scored 13 points in 26 games with Alberni Valley last season, and has also played in the AJHL with Olds.

Keca, a 6-1 defenseman from Kelowna, is entering his second full BCHL season, having scored 17 points in 65 appearances with Alberni Valley and Quesnel.

House, from Cochrane, Alberta, was a member of the 2011 KIJHL champion Osoyoos Coyotes, where he finished third on the team in scoring with 19 goals and 62 points.

The Smoke Eaters would like to welcome D'Andrea, Hicks, Keca and House to the organization, and thank Sidhu, DelBianco and Larose for their contributions in Trail during their time as Smoke Eaters.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cents Add Six More AP's To Reserve Roster:

The Centennials have signed six more players as AP's for the 2011-12 season.

Two of the players, Rhett Willcox and Zack Sanderson, were taken by Merritt in the BCHL Affiliate Player Draft earlier this month. Both are skating in the BC Major Midget League this season.

Two of the players added are playing in the KIJHL and two are in the PIJHL.

D Dominic Centis (93)

F Brayden Low (94)

F Brandon Formosa (93)

F Zack Sanderson (96)

F Rhett Willcox (96)

G Phoenix Logan-Hill (94)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Weekly Recap with Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce:

I caught up with Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce today for our weekly recap called "Bringing It Back", brought to you by KFC in Merritt.

Cowichan Valley Capitals-Canmore Eagles Trade:

It didn't take long for Cowichan Valley to replace G Michael Doan (91) after he was traded to the Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL as the Capitals have acquired G Brady Rouleau (93) from the AJHL's Canmore Eagles for future considerations.

Here's the deal as listed on the BCHL site:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals Hockey Club acquire the CJHL playing rights of Brady Rouleau (93)(G) from the Canmore Eagles Hockey Club of the AJHL in exchange for future considerations.

And here's the deal as it breaks down:

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
G Brady Rouleau (93)

To Canmore Eagles:
Future Considerations

Alberni Valley Bulldogs-Brockville Braves Trade:

Defenceman Zach Todd, who signed with Alberni Valley during the off-season and then left the team before the season started, has had his rights traded by the Bulldogs to the Brockville Braves of the CCHL.

Here's the deal according to the BCHL website:

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs Hockey Club transfers the playing rights of Zach Todd to the Brockville Braves Hockey Club of the CCHL in exchange for future considerations.

Here's the skinny on the trade itself:

To Brockville Braves:
D Zach Todd (93)

To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
Future Considerations

Cowichan Valley Capitals-Soo Thunderbirds Trade:

Michael Doan is returning to the team he played with last season as the Cowichan Valley Capitals have traded him to the NOJHL's Soo Thunderbirds for future considerations.

Here's the deal according to the BCHL website:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals Hockey Club transfers the CJHL playing rights of Michael Doan to the Soo Thunderbirds Hockey Club of the NOJHL in exchange for future considerations.

And here's the line on the trade:

To Soo Thunderbirds:
G Michael Doan (91)

To Cowichan Valley Capitals:
Future Considerations

Forward Chris Allbee Released by Nanaimo:

F Chris Allbee (92), who played last season with Quesnel and signed with Nanaimo just before the season started, has been released by the Clippers.

No word yet on where Allbee will end up as he is essentially a free agent.

Forward Stephen Saretsky Joins Langley Rivermen:

Forward Stephen Saretsky has landed on his feet after being released by Cowichan Valley back in September and Alberni Valley earlier this month, as he's now joined the Langley Rivermen.

To Langley Rivermen:
F Stephen Saretsky (91)

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Veteran WolfPack and Former Centennials Puck Chasers Loving Life:

This was posted on the Kamloops Daily News website last week:

October 13, 2011

By MARK HUNTER
Daily News Sports Reporter

Not once, during the TRU WolfPack's nine-hour bus ride to Cheney, Wash., last weekend, did a moment of doubt enter the minds of Cody Lockwood or Jassi Sangha.

Lockwood and Sangha are assistant captains with the WolfPack hockey team, which is 0-2 after losing twice to the host Eastern Washington Eagles. TRU is scheduled to play its first home game of the B.C. Intercollegiate league season against Trinity Western on Friday, 8:30 p.m., at Memorial Arena.

Long bus rides aren't new to Sangha or Lockwood, both of whom are 24 and have been riding buses back to their minor hockey days.

But one has to think that after years of travelling all over Western Canada, it gets old. Not at all, says Lockwood.

"A nine-hour ride is nothing," says the 6-foot-5 defenceman. "I've taken a bus from Kamloops to Prince Albert - that was . . . I can't even remember how long it was.

"You've got to get used to it if you want to play hockey . . . and I think road trips are fun overall."

Lockwood and Sangha, both products of the Kamloops Minor Hockey Association and former Storm teammates, are nearing the ends of their university careers. In the spring, Lockwood will graduate with a bachelor of arts in sociology, while Sangha is primed to get a degree in history.

Sangha said his goal "always has been to have a degree," and that he was attending TRU while playing for the junior B Storm from 2006-08.

That certainly helped him stand out amongst his Storm teammates, many of whom didn't pay much heed to the future. But now, more than three years after playing his last junior game, he's on track to graduate in the spring.

"When I came out of high school, I didn't want to go to university but my dad kind of made me," admits Sangha, a 5-foot-11 forward. "He said if I wanted to play hockey, I had to go to school. He told me if I didn't go, in three or four years, I would be behind. It was good advice."

It goes to show the difference between a university player and a junior player.

"In junior, you're just there to play hockey, working out every day, practising," Lockwood states. "Here, school's first - guys have to work, guys have to pay, guys have to live on their own."

Both guys expressed some relief to be firmly ensconced in Kamloops, after years of moving around.

Once finished minor hockey, Lockwood went on to play with the KIJHL's Sicamous Eagles, and made stops with the BCHL's Quesnel Millionaires, Alberni Valley Bulldogs and Merritt Centennials. He also spent time with the SJHL's Estevan Bruins before finishing with the Storm. He also played a season at the University of Southern Maine.

After playing major midget, Sangha ended up in Merritt, but came back to Kamloops to play for the Storm. He eventually hooked up with former Storm teammate Todd Stephenson, an Australian, and played a summer of hockey Down Under.

Lockwood said he wouldn't turn down an offer to play professionally, but he knows there's more to life than hockey.

"I want to be a police officer," he says. "I've applied once, and I have to apply again. That's what I want to do, it's what I've always wanted to do."

It's about education for Sangha too, and about getting to spend more time with some of his closest friends.

Sangha, Lockwood and David Gore, another WolfPack assistant captain, have been thick as thieves since they were in elementary school.

"I'm lucky. On every team I've played on, I've always had really close friends," Sangha says. "I knew Cody when I was six years old, we went to elementary school together. Dave, when I moved out here from Vancouver when I was five, the first friend I ever made was Dave Gore.

"It's funny how things work out."

Cents Double Salmon Arm 4-2:

(From MerrittCentennials.com)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - October 14, 2011

Billy Marshall had a goal and an assist the Merritt Centennials defeated the Salmon Arm Silverbacks 4-2 in the BC Hockey League Friday night.

Brent Fletcher, Richard Sabourin and Evan Stack, on a third period penalty shot, also scored for Merritt (3-4-1-2), while Ross Mancuso, Jakob Reichert and Sean Maktaak each had assists.

Braden Pears and Bryce Gervais tallied for the Silverbacks (2-6-0-1), who got 40 saves from rookie Adam Clark.

Tyler Steel made 23 saves in the win for Merritt.

The Centennials finished 1-for-6 on the power play while Salmon Arm wound up 2-for-7 with the man advantage.

Merritt's Annual Parents' Weekend continues with the annual Icebreaker fundraiser Saturday night at the Civic Centre and the Cents next game is Sunday afternoon agaist Chilliwack at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Cents Crown Powell River 4-1:

A few quick things from last night's big 4-1 win over Powell River:

- The Cents continue to get offence from the from the blueline as four of their seven defencemen got on the scoresheet last night, including goals from Reece Willcox, Brandon Pfeil and Ross Mancuso (his first in the BCHL).

- There were at least 15 NHL scouts in attendance last night, including Edmonton head scout Stu MacGregor and Anaheim Okanagan scout Glen Cochrane (who is a former Centennial himself).

- Regan Soquila's two points moves him into an eight-way tie for fourth in BCHL scoring with 12 points in nine games.

(From MerrittCentennials.com)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - October 13, 2011

The Merritt Centennials got three goals from defencemen as they snapped a six game winless skid with a 4-1 win over Powell River in BC Hockey League action Thursday night at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.

The Kings opened the scoring at 2:01 of the first period on a goal by Brandon Tidy, but that was the only goal Powell River would score on the night.

Regan Soquila, Brandon Pfeil, Ross Mancuso and Reece Willcox scored for the Centennials while Soquila, Tyler Martin, Jakob Reichert, Evan Stack and Chad Brears each had assists.

Lino Chimienti kicked out 22 shots to get the win in goal for Merritt. Sean Maguire made 26 saves for the Kings as they suffered their third straight loss.

Merritt finished the night 1-for-1 on the power play while Powell River went 0-for-3 with the man advantage.

The Centennials Annual Parents' Weekend continues with a game Friday night against Salmon Arm at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena. It's the first meeting of the Cents and Silverbacks since last season's first round playoff series.

For further information, please contact Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce at 250-378-3607.

The Merritt Centennials, proudly celebrating 39 seasons as the BCHL's longest continuously run franchise, is a non-profit, community owned Junior 'A' Hockey Club run by a dedicated team of investors, directors, and volunteers.

Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.merrittcentennials.com. In addition, stay connected with the Cents on Facebook (/merrittcentennials) and Twitter (@merrittcents)

Cents Marketing Manager Rachael Sanders Talks Icebreaker Fund Raiser:

I had Cents Marketing Manager Rachael Sanders on the morning show today to talk about tomorrow night's Icebreaker Fund Raiser, arguably the biggest fund raiser of the year for the team.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Westside Warriors-Kanata Stallions Trade:

G Brandon Lane (92), who left Westside last week, has been traded closer to home by the Warriors. They've moved him to the Kanata Stallions of the Canadian Central Hockey League for future considerations.

To Kanata Stallions:
G Brandon Lane (92)

To Westside Warriors:
Future Considerations

Victoria Grizzlies-Salmon Arm Silverbacks Trade:

The busiest team in terms of transactions in the BCHL is at it again as the Victoria Grizzlies made another trade today, sending D Braden Pears (93) to Salmon Arm for future considerations.

To Salmon Arm Silverbacks:
D Braden Pears (93)

To Victoria Grizzlies:
Future Considerations

Game Nine - Centennials vs. Powell River Preview:

Merritt (1-4-1-2) vs. Powell River (6-2-0-0)

Tonight is the first and only meeting between the Merritt Centennials and Powell River as the BCHL returns to a non-interlocking schedule this season. It's also the Cents second game of a season-long six game home stand.

The game is available with Cents PBP announcer Alex Grebenyuk on Q101 in Merritt at 101.1 FM in the Nicola Valley. You can also tune in at Q101.ca or on the BCHL Fanzone at BCHL.ca

Last Game Played:
Saturday, October 8: Merritt lost 3-2 to Vernon in double overtime at Nicola Valley Memorial Arena
Sunday, October 9: Powell River lost 4-3 to Coquitlam at the Poirier Sports & Leisure Centre

Next Games:
Friday, October 14: Merritt vs. Salmon Arm
Friday, October 14: Powell River @ Coquitlam

Let's take a look at the Merritt Centennials:

Games Played: 8
Wins: 1
Losses: 4
Ties: 1
Overtime Losses: 2
Home Record: 0-1-0-2
Road Record: 1-3-1-0
Streak: Winless in six
Last Ten Games: 1-4-1-2
Goals For: 22
Goals Against: 36
Standings: 7th place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 7/36 (19.44%) - 10th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 3/14 (21.43%) - 6th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 4/22 (18.18%) - 9th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 29/40 (72.50%) - 14th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 13/19 (68.42%) - 12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 16/21 (76.19%) - T-12th in BCHL

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 8-6-0-1 overall vs. the Kings

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 5-3-0-0 at home vs. Powell River

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 3-3-0-1 in Powell River

Merritt is 3-3-0-1 in its last seven visits to the Hap Parker Arena

Merritt is 5-3-0-0 in its last eight home games vs. Powell River

Merritt’s last win over Powell River at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena was a 2-0 victory back on Saturday, December 19, 2009 as Keith Hamilton made 41 saves for the shutout.

SCORING SUMMARY
PERIOD 1
No Scoring
PERIOD 2
Merritt Centennials at 9:20 - Steve Tresierra from Austin Baecker
PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 15:34 - Jordan Soquila from Jeff Jones and Andrew Pickering

Former Centennials on the Kings:
None, but Kings dman Jordan Paddock and his family used to live in Merritt and he played some of his minor hockey here. Jordan also was in training camp with the Centennials back in August of 2010.

Average Age: 18.45 years
Average Ht: 5'11.6"
Average Wt: 176.9 lbs.

Centennials home record vs. Powell River last season: 0-1
Centennials road record vs. Powell River last season: 0-1

Merritt Centennials Returning Players:

Chad Brears (91)
Lino Chimienti (91)
Brent Fletcher (92)
Silvan Harper (92)
Dustin Lebrun (92)
Sean Maktaak (92)
Billy Marshall (91)
Brandon Pfeil (92)
Jakob Reichert (93)
Richard Sabourin (92)
Regan Soquila (93)
Evan Stack (91)
Tyler Steel (93)
Reece Willcox (94)

Merritt Centennials departed & traded players from last year's team:

Jeff Jones (91 - Robert Morris University - NCAA)
Max Vallis (91 - Omaha Lancers - USHL)
Steve Wall (91 - Sherwood Park Crusaders - AJHL)
Steve Tresierra (90 - Queen's University - CIS)
David Sabey (91 - Winkler Flyers - MJHL)
Blaine Bokenfohr (90 - Northern AB. Institute of Technology - ACAC)
Kameran Crawford (91 - Osoyoos Coyotes - KIJHL)
J-P Witkop (90 - Manhattanville College - NCAA)
Dylan Playfair (92)
Brett Kolins (92 - didn't report to Merritt after being acquired from Victoria)

Let's take a look at the Powell River Kings:

Games Played: 8
Wins: 6
Losses: 2
Ties: 0
Overtime Losses: 0
Home Record: 5-0-0-0
Road Record: 1-2-0-0
Streak: Two game losing streak
Last Ten Games: 6-2-0-0
Goals For: 29
Goals Against: 16
Standings: 1st place Coastal Conference
Power Play (Overall): 4/36 (11.11%) - 16th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 2/21 (9.52%) - 15th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 2/15 (13.33%) - T-14th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 37/39 (94.87%) - 2nd in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 25/25 (100%) - T-1st in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 12/14 (85.71%) - T-2nd in BCHL

Former Kings on the Centennials:
None, but Cents AP Brandon Formosa played a full season (57 games) in Powell River in 2009-10, posting seven points and 27 PIM

Average Age: 18.52 years
Average Ht: 6'0"
Average Wt: 180.77 lbs.

Kings home record vs. Merritt last season: 1-0
Kings road record vs. Merritt last season: 1-0

Powell River Kings Returning Players:

Cohen Adair (91)
Steven Schmidt (91)
Craig Dalrymple (91)
Daniel Schuler (92)
Jon Jutzi (91)
Teagan Waugh (92)
Chris Williams (91)
Carter Shinkaruk (91)
Brenden Forbes (92)
Sean Maguire (93)

Powell River Kings departed & traded players from last year's team:

Chad Niddery (90)
Matt Garbowsky (90)
Justin Dasilva (90)
Andrew Pettitt (90)
Mike Sones (92)
Jason Yee (90)
Klay Kachur (91)
Bond Hawryluk (91)
Brendan Hawryluk (91)
Braden Pears (93)
Scott Renner (92)
Justin Bardarson (90)
Michael Garteig (91)

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Merritt Atom Development Cents Beat Summerland 14-6:

I received this email late yesterday from Merritt Minor Hockey Vice-President Mike Bjarnason:

The Merritt Fountain tire Atom Development team beat Summerland 14-6 for the first regular season win, Connor Oulette lead the team with 4 goals while Armoni Mcrae had a hat trick.

Talon Zakall notched a pair while, Gillian Moore, Justin Tighe, Tyler Simon, Ethan Thygesen and Nicholas Anscomb each had singles, Tristan Bjarnason had a stellar game in net stopping all the shots his way. Goalie duties were split between Tristan Bjarnason and Nicolas Willey.

The team's next game is Saturday 15th at 12:30 vs. Princeton @ Merritt arena

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Prince George Spruce Kings-Humboldt Broncos Trade:

Prince George has hooked up on another trade, this time sending D Sam Waterfield (91) to Humboldt of the SJHL for future considerations.

The deal is on the BCHL website: 11-Oct-11 The Prince George Spruce Kings Hockey Club transfers the playing rights of Sam Waterfield (91)(D) to the Humboldt Broncos Hockey Club of the SJHL in exchange for future considerations.

Waterfield hasn't played this season because of knee surgery, but word is that he's healthy now.

Here's how the deal shakes down:

To Humboldt Broncos:
D Sam Waterfield (91)

To Prince George Spruce Kings:
Future Considerations

Merritt Bantam Reps Tie Kelowna 5-5:

I apologize for the lack of regular posts in the past week or so, things have been very busy at home and work. I'll do my best to keep up on the posting.

I received this email late yesterday from Robyn Grebliunas:

Murray GM Bantam Rep team had quiet Thanksgiving weekend. Friday night they hosted Kelowna Jr. Rockets for an exhibition game. The game ended with a 5:5 tie. Merritt goals were scored by #18 Lane Antoine, #10 Aaron Montreuil, #7 Marcello Bose, with team Captain #12 Riley Barnes scoring two goals.

The team will be back in action next weekend Saturday as they take on Revelstoke in the Merritt arena at 2:15pm. Sunday they will be on the road to play Vernon.

Fundraising efforts will continue this month with a Boston Pizza Party coming up on October 17th. Tickets are available by contacting Bantam Rep parents.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Game Eight - Centennials vs. Vernon Preview:

Merritt (1-4-1-0) vs. Vernon (6-0-0-0)

Tonight is the first of eight meetings between the Merritt Centennials and Vernon.

The game is available with Cents PBP announcer Alex Grebenyuk on Q101 in Merritt at 101.1 FM in the Nicola Valley. You can also tune in at Q101.ca or on the BCHL Fanzone at BCHL.ca

Last Game Played:
Friday, October 7: Merritt lost 5-2 to Westside at Royal LePage Place
Friday, October 7: Vernon knocked off Chilliwack 4-1 at Wesbild Centre

Next Games:
Thursday, October 13: Merritt vs. Powell River
Friday, October 14: Vernon @ Chilliwack

Let's take a look at the Merritt Centennials:

Games Played: 7
Wins: 1
Losses: 4
Ties: 1
Overtime Losses: 1
Home Record: 0-1-0-1
Road Record: 1-3-1-0
Streak: Winless in five
Last Ten Games: 1-4-1-0
Goals For: 20
Goals Against: 33
Standings: 5th place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 6/33 (18.18%) - 11th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 2/11 (18.18%) - 9th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 4/22 (18.18%) - T-9th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 26/36 (72.22%) - 13th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 10/15 (66.67%) - T-11th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 16/21 (76.19%) - 11th in BCHL

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 10-38-0-3 overall vs. the Vipers

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 5-18-0-2 at home vs. Vernon

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 5-20-0-1 in Vernon

Merritt is 2-8-0-0 in its last 10 visits to Wesbild Centre

Merritt is 1-8-0-1 in its last 10 home games vs. Vernon

Merritt’s last win over Vernon at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena was a 4-3 overtime victory back on Friday, November 10, 2010.

SCORING SUMMARY
PERIOD 1
No Scoring
PERIOD 2
Vernon Vipers at 10:05 - Todd Skirving from Nicholas Kerr and Darren Nowick
Vernon Vipers at 8:44 - John Knisley from Michael Zalewski and Aaron Hadley
Vernon Vipers at 0:29 (PP) - Michael Zalewski from John Knisley and Malcolm Lyles
PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 19:06 (PP) - Sean Maktaak from Steve Tresierra and Brandon Pfeil
Merritt Centennials at 16:43 - Jeff Jones from Regan Soquila and Reece Willcox
Merritt Centennials at 12:45 (PP) - Steve Tresierra from Evan Stack and Brent Fletcher
OVERTIME PERIOD 1
Merritt Centennials at 1:45 - Brandon Pfeil from Chad Brears and Sean Maktaak

Former Centennials on the Vipers:
None

Average Age: 18.45 years
Average Ht: 5'11.6"
Average Wt: 176.9 lbs.

Centennials home record vs. Vernon last season: 1-1-0-1
Centennials road record vs. Vernon last season: 2-1-0-0

[...]

Let's take a look at the Vernon Vipers:

Games Played: 6
Wins: 6
Losses: 0
Ties: 0
Overtime Losses: 0
Home Record: 4-0-0-0
Road Record: 2-0-0-0
Streak: Six game winning streak
Last Ten Games: 6-0-0-0
Goals For: 26
Goals Against: 12
Standings: 1st place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 9/31 (29.03%) - 2nd in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 5/19 (26.32%) - 6th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 4/12 (33.33%) - T-4th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 30/31 (96.77%) - 2nd in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 18/18 (100%) - T-1st in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 12/13 (92.31%) - 2nd in BCHL

Former Viper on the Centennials:
None, but G Tyler Steel (93) tried out for the Vipers last season and was cut before joining Merritt prior to the start of the season

Average Age: 18.05 years
Average Ht: 5'11.5"
Average Wt: 178.79 lbs.

Vipers home record vs. Merritt last season: 1-2-0-0
Vipers road record vs. Merritt last season: 2-1-0-0

Vernon Vipers Returning Players:

Marcus Basara (93)
Brett Corkey (92)
Aaron Hadley (93)
John Knisley (92)
Patrick McGillis (91)
Max Mowat (93)
Darren Nowick (91)
Ryan Renz (93)
Colton Sparrow (93)
Michael Zalewski (92)
Kirby Halcrow (91)

Vernon Vipers departed & traded players from last year's team:

Dylan Walchuk (92)
David Robinson (90)
Bryce Kakoske (90)
Malcolm Lyles (90)
Trevor Fitzgerald (92)
Adam Thompson (90)
Steven Weinstein (90)
Kyle Murphy (90)
Dane Muench (92)
Philip Patenaude (91)
Zach McPhee (93)
Blake Voth (91)

Friday, October 7, 2011

Game Seven - Centennials @ Westside Preview:

Merritt (1-3-1-0) vs. Westside (4-2-0-0)

Tonight is the second of seven meetings between the Merritt Centennials and Westside.

The game is available with Cents PBP announcer Alex Grebenyuk on Q101 in Merritt at 101.1 FM in the Nicola Valley. You can also tune in at Q101.ca or on the BCHL Fanzone at BCHL.ca

Last Game Played:
Wednesday, October 5: Merritt lost 6-1 in Penticton at the South Okanagan Events Centre
Wednesday, October 5: Westside lost 2-0 to Vernon at Wesbild Centre

Next Games:
Saturday, October 8: Vernon @ Merritt
Saturday, October 8: Chilliwack @ Westside

Let's take a look at the Merritt Centennials:

Games Played: 6
Wins: 1
Losses: 3
Ties: 1
Overtime Losses: 1
Home Record: 0-1-0-1
Road Record: 1-2-1-0
Streak: Winless in four
Last Ten Games: 1-3-1-0
Goals For: 18
Goals Against: 28
Standings: 5th place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 5/30 (16.67%) - 12th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 2/11 (18.18%) - 8th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 3/19 (16.67%) - 9th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 23/31 (74.19%) - 12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 10/15 (66.67%) - T-12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 13/16 (81.25%) - 9th in BCHL

Since the 2006-07 season, Merritt is 9-19-0-4 overall vs. the Warriors

Since the 2006-07 season Merritt is 5-8-0-3 at home vs. Westside

Since the 2006-07 season Merritt is 4-11-0-1 in West Kelowna

Merritt is 2-7-0-1 in its last 10 visits to Royal LePage Place

Merritt is 4-5-0-1 in its last 10 home games vs. Westside

Merritt’s last win over Westside at Royal LePage Place was a 3-1 victory back on Friday, December 10, 2010.

SCORING SUMMARY
PERIOD 1
Westside Warriors at 15:18 (PP) - Max French from Matt Cronin and Tom Kroshus
PERIOD 2
Merritt Centennials at 7:43 - Jeff Jones from Regan Soquila and Evan Stack
Merritt Centennials at 15:39 (PP) - Jeff Jones from Regan Soquila and Evan Stack
PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 19:51 (EN)- Steve Tresierra from Stephen Wall

Former Centennials on the Warriors:
None

Average Age: 18.45 years
Average Ht: 5'11.6"
Average Wt: 176.9 lbs.

Centennials home record vs. Westside this season: 0-0-0-1
Centennials road record vs. westside this season: 0-0-0-0

[...]

Let's take a look at the Westside Warriors:

Games Played: 4
Wins: 4
Losses: 2
Ties: 0
Overtime Losses: 0
Home Record: 0-1-0-0
Road Record: 4-1-0-0
Streak: One game losing streak
Last Ten Games: 4-2-0-0
Goals For: 22
Goals Against: 17
Standings: 3rd place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 9/30 (30.00%) - 2nd in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 1/7 (14.29%) - T-10th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 8/23 (34.78%) - 2nd in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 27/33 (81.82%) - 7th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 4/6 (66.67%) - 12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 23/27 (85.19%) - 5th in BCHL

Former Warriors on the Centennials:
None

Average Age: 18.40 years
Average Ht: 5'11.4"
Average Wt: 181.44 lbs.

Warriors home record vs. Merritt last season: 1-2
Warriors road record vs. Merritt last season: 0-3

Westside Warriors Returning Players:

Tyler Krause (91)
Peter MacIntosh (92)
Dru Morrison (92)
Travis Blanleil (94)
Michael King (93)
Brett McKinnon (92)
Brayden Sherbinin (93)
Max French (92)
Izaak Berglund (91)
Shawn Hochhausen (92)

Westside Warriors departed & traded players from last year's team:

Alex Grieve (90)
Grayson Downing (92)
Kyle Singleton (90)
Quinn Gould (90)
Tyler Brickler (91)
Matthew Maher (90)
Tom Kroshus (92)
Tyler French (90)
Matt Cronin (92)
Brett Mulcahy (93)
Stefan Nicolishen (93)
Kevin Boyle (92)
Cole Holowenko (93)

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Game Six - Centennials @ Penticton:

Merritt (1-2-1-1) @ Penticton (3-1-0-0)

I'm not exactly sure why this posting didn't work earlier today, but it didn't so although the game is underway, I thought I'd try to repost anyway and here it is.

Tonight is the first of eight meetings between the Merritt Centennials and Penticton.

The game is available with Cents PBP announcer Alex Grebenyuk on Q101 in Merritt at 101.1 FM in the Nicola Valley. You can also tune in at Q101.ca or on the BCHL Fanzone at BCHL.ca

Last Game Played:
Saturday, October 1: Merritt lost 5-4 to Westside in double overtime at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena
Saturday, October 1: Penticton beat Trail 9-1 at South Okanagan Events Centre

Next Games:
Friday, October 7: Merritt @ Westside
Friday, October 7: Penticton @ Prince George

Let's take a look at the Merritt Centennials:

Games Played: 5
Wins: 1
Losses: 2
Ties: 1
Overtime Losses: 1
Home Record: 0-1-0-1
Road Record: 1-1-1-0
Streak: Winless in three
Last Ten Games: 1-2-1-1
Goals For: 17
Goals Against: 22
Standings: 5th place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 5/27 (18.52%) - 10th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 2/11 (18.18%) - 8th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 3/16 (18.75%) - 8th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 22/30 (73.33%) - 12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 10/15 (66.67%) - T-12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 12/15 (80.00%) - 9th in BCHL

Since the 2003-04 season, Merritt is 13-29-1-2 overall vs. the Vees franchise

Since the 2003-04 season Merritt is 9-12-0-2 at home vs. Penticton

Since the 2003-04 season Merritt is 4-17-1-0 in Penticton

Merritt is 0-10-0-0 in its last 10 visits to the South Okanagan Events Centre

Merritt is 3-6-0-1 in its last 10 home games vs. Penticton

Merritt’s last win over the Vees in Penticton was a 5-2 victory WAY back on February 5, 2005.

SCORING SUMMARY
PERIOD 1
Merritt Centennials at 18:57 - Brandon Campos from Stephen Cavanagh and Kevin Lessard
PERIOD 2
Merritt Centennials at 2:31 - Sean Weaver from Rylan Burns and Brandon Hill
Merritt Centennials at 5:29 - Brandon Hill from Bryan Leitch and Brandon Campos
Penticton Vees at 7:03 - Ryan Coghlan from John Kopp and Kevin Borba
Merritt Centennials at 9:13 (SH) - Bryan Leitch from Sean Weaver and Dave Simoes
PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 6:20 - Brandon Hill from Bryan Leitch and Brett Short
Penticton Vees at 14:05 (PP) - TJ Stewart from Robert Skinner and Brian Lebler

Former Centennials on the Vees:
None, but D Kyle Beaulieu (91) tried out for the Cents a number of years ago.

Average Age: 18.45 years
Average Ht: 5'11.3"
Average Wt: 172.2 lbs.

Centennials home record vs. Penticton last season: 0-2-0-1
Centennials road record vs. Penticton last season: 0-3-0-0

[...]

Let's take a look at the Penticton Vees:

Games Played: 4
Wins: 3
Losses: 1
Ties: 0
Overtime Losses: 0
Home Record: 2-0-0-0
Road Record: 1-1-0-0
Streak: Two game winning streak
Last Ten Games: 3-1-0-0
Goals For: 24
Goals Against: 12
Standings: 3rd place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 11/39 (28.21%) - 4th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 10/24 (41.67%) - 2nd in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 1/15 (6.67%) - 13th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 22/29 (75.86%) - 9th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 14/17 (82.35%) - 6th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 8/12 (66.67%) - 13th in BCHL

Former Vees on the Centennials:
None

Average Age: 18.55 years
Average Ht: 5'11.5"
Average Wt: 174.90 lbs.

Vees home record vs. Merritt last season: 3-0
Vees road record vs. Merritt last season: 0-2-0-1

Penticton Vees Returning Players:

Joey Benik (91)
Troy Stetcher (94)
Curtis Loik (93)
Kyle Beaulieu (91)
Chad Bannor (92)
Logan Johnston (91)

Penticton Vees departed & traded players from last year's team:

Joey Laleggia (92)
Brendan O'Donnell (92)
Mark MacMillan (92)
Joey Holka (90)
Garrett Milan (91)
Kyle Mountain (90)
James Polk (92)
Tyler Hlookoff (90)
Myles McCauley (91)
Steven Iacobellis (93)
Mark Hall (90)
Derik Johnson (90)
Michael Betz (92)
Paul Bezzo (90)
Joel Rumpel (91)
Billy Faust (91)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Weekly Recap with Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce:

As usual on Tuesdays, I had Cents Head Coach and GM Luke Pierce on the morning show today for a look back at the week that was for the team, brought to you by KFC in Merritt. This interview is a little longer than what originally aired, so you're hearing bonus content!

Cents Select Rhett Willcox & Zack Sanderson in BCHL Affiliate Draft:

Sorry I'm a little late on getting this posted, but the Cents made their two selections in the BCHL Affiliate Draft yesterday, choosing F Rhett Willcox (95) fourth overall and F Zack Sanderson (95) 20th overall.

Willcox is playing this season with the Valley West Hawks (BCMML) while Sanderson is with Thompson Blazers (BCMML).

F Rhett Willcox (95)

Willcox played last season with the Surrey Bantam Thunder A1-T1, posting 63 points (23g, 40a) in 53 games. He was drafted in the tenth round, 218th overall by Portland Winterhawks in the 2011 WHL Bantam Draft.

F Zack Sanderson (95)

Sanderson played last season with the Merritt Bantam Rep Tier 3 Centennials, with 106 points (49g, 57a) in 43 games. He attended rookie training camp this season with Vancouver Giants.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce on BCHL Affiliate Draft:

With the 2011 BCHL Affiliate Draft this afternoon at the BCHL Board of Governor's meeting in Richmond, I had the chance to chat with Merritt Centennials head coach and GM Luke Pierce this morning on his approach heading into the draft and his thoughts on the process itself.

BCHL Feeling Drafty Today With First Ever Affiliate Draft:

The Merritt Centennials and the BCHL move into uncharted territory today with the league's first ever affiliate player draft.

The draft is optional, so there's no guarantee that all 16 teams will take part, but honestly I can't see why any team wouldn't want to expose their program to some of the top 15-year-old prospects in the province. Yes, I know they could have done it anyway with recruiting, but this takes care of that for them and it's each team's job to "sell" the player on their program. Whether a team is a perennial bottom-feeder or always in the top tier of the league, I see the draft as a low-risk, high-reward for everyone involved.

Here's the draft order:

First Round
1. Prince George
2. Chilliwack
3. Cowichan Valley
4. Merritt
5. Coquitlam
6. Alberni Valley
7. Nanaimo
8. Trail
9. Victoria
10. Langley
11. Westside
12. Surrey
13. Salmon Arm
14. Penticton
15. Vernon
16. Powell River

Second Round
17. Prince George
18. Chilliwack
19. Cowichan Valley
20. Merritt
21. Coquitlam
22. Alberni Valley
23. Nanaimo
24. Trail
25. Victoria
26. Langley
27. Westside
28. Surrey
29. Salmon Arm
30. Penticton
31. Vernon
32. Powell River

Here's the official release from the BCHL website:

On Monday, Oct. 3, BCHL governor and league officials will convene in Richmond for the first governors meetings of the new season.

Amongst other things, an affiliate draft will be held which will give teams the chance to select 15-year-old players for the purpose of affiliating them for the season and introduce them to their team culture and to Junior A hockey. The players rights will not be retained at the end of the season.

"It will give each team a season to build a relationship with the young player," said BCHL executive director Dave Sales. "Perhaps more importantly for the league as a whole, even if a player doesn't stay with the team that drafted them, they may sign with another BCHL team because of their exposure to the league and we will have been successful as a group in keeping players versus them choosing other options."

The idea for the affiliate draft was approved by governors after the end of last season from a motion by the the steering committe of the board of directors. As ever, the BCHL is exploring new ideas as a way of staying relevant to developing hockey players and as a way of setting the pace for Junior A hockey in Canada.

Teams will have the option of selecting a player in each of the two rounds but are not required to do so because the draft is optional. Teams select based on reverse order of finish in the 2010-11 standings.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Game Five - Centennials vs. Westside Preview:

Merritt (1-2-1-0) vs. Westside (3-1-0-0)

Tonight is the first of seven meetings between the Merritt Centennials and Westside.

The game is available with Cents PBP announcer Alex Grebenyuk on Q101 in Merritt at 101.1 FM in the Nicola Valley. You can also tune in at Q101.ca or on the BCHL Fanzone at BCHL.ca

Last Game Played:
Friday, September 30: Merritt lost 5-3 to Trail at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena
Friday, September 30: Westside lost 5-2 to Vernon at Royal LePage Place

Next Games:
Wednesday, October 5: Merritt @ Penticton
Wednesday, October 5: Westside @ Vernon

Let's take a look at the Merritt Centennials:

Games Played: 4
Wins: 1
Losses: 2
Ties: 1
Overtime Losses: 0
Home Record: 0-1-0-0
Road Record: 1-1-1-0
Streak: Winless in two
Last Ten Games: 1-2-1-0
Goals For: 13
Goals Against: 17
Standings: 4th place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 3/15 (20.00%) - T-8th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 1/3 (33.33%) - T-5th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 2/12 (16.67%) - 7th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 15/19 (78.95%) - 10th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 5/8 (62.50%) - 13th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 10/11 (90.91%) - 3rd in BCHL

Since the 2006-07 season, Merritt is 9-19-0-3 overall vs. the Warriors

Since the 2006-07 season Merritt is 5-8-0-2 at home vs. Westside

Since the 2006-07 season Merritt is 4-11-0-1 in West Kelowna

Merritt is 2-7-0-1 in its last 10 visits to Royal LePage Place

Merritt is 5-5-0-0 in its last 10 home games vs. Westside

Merritt’s last win over Westside in Merritt was a 6-3 victory back on Saturday, January 15, 2011.

SCORING SUMMARY
PERIOD 1
Westside Warriors at 8:05 - Shawn Hochhausen from Quinn Gould and Tom Kroshus
Westside Warriors at 13:08 - Quinn Gould from Tyler French and Tyler Brickler
PERIOD 2
Merritt Centennials at 3:19 - Max Vallis from Billy Marshall and Richard Sabourin
Merritt Centennials at 9:52 - Regan Soquila from Evan Stack
Merritt Centennials at 13:34 - Jeff Jones from Evan Stack
Merritt Centennials at 16:15 (PP) - Evan Stack from Jeff Jones and Regan Soquila
Westside Warriors at 18:40 - Tyler Krause from Alex Grieve and Kyle Singleton
PERIOD 3
Merritt Centennials at 14:55 - Sean Maktaak from Silvan Harper and Blaine Bokenfohr
Merritt Centennials at 17:47 (PP) - Max Vallis from Blaine Bokenfohr and Chad Brears

Former Centennials on the Warriors:
None

Average Age: 17.5 years
Average Ht: 5'11.3"
Average Wt: 172.2 lbs.

Centennials home record vs. Westside last season: 3-0
Centennials road record vs. westside last season: 2-1

[...]

Road Record: 3-0-0-0
Streak: One game losing streak
Last Ten Games: 3-1-0-0
Goals For: 17
Goals Against: 11
Standings: 2nd place Interior Conference
Power Play (Overall): 7/19 (36.84%) - 9th in BCHL
Power Play (Home): 1/7 (14.29%) - T-11th in BCHL
Power Play (Away): 6/12 (50%) - 2nd in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Overall): 17/21 (80.95%) - 9th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Home): 4/6 (66.67%) - 12th in BCHL
Penalty Kill (Away): 13/15 (86.67%) - 6th in BCHL

Former Warriors on the Centennials:
None

Average Age: 18.40 years
Average Ht: 5'11.1"
Average Wt: 173.50 lbs.

[...]

Cents Drop Home Opener 5-3 to Trail:

Although it's early in the season, the Centennials can't be too happy about last night's result against the Trail Smoke Eaters.

In front of a crowd that looked like more than the 678 announced attendance, the Cents special teams did them in as Trail scored three of their five goals on the power play to beat Merritt 5-3.

The Cents jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead before the second period was half over, after a scoreless opening frame. And then they got into penalty trouble, with nine of the next 12 calls going against them. Did Merritt become undisciplined? It didn't seem like it, but there were a number of calls all night (including a couple against the Smoke Eaters that seemed questionable).

The bright spot from last night's game is once again, the spread out scoring. On three goals, the Cents had seven different players notched a point.

They've got to put this one behind them as a big test comes tonight with the 3-1-0-0 Westside Warriors come into town tonight. A preview of that game is coming up later on the blog.

Here's the recap of last night's game from merrittcentennials.com:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - September 30, 2011

Nicholas Wong had a goal and two assists Friday as the Trail Smoke Eaters defeated the Merritt Centennials 5-2 in the BC Hockey League.

Adam Boytinck, Brent Baltus, and Clayton Chessa with a pair, had the other goals for Trail (1-2-1-0), which got 32 saves from Matt Larose.

Billy Marshall, silvan Harper and Brandon Bruce replied for Merritt (1-2-1-0), while Jakob Reichert, Chad Brears, Dustin Lebrun and Richard Sabourin each added assists.

Lino Chimienti made 29 saves in taking the loss for the Centennials.

The Smoke Eaters were strong on the power play, going 3-for-8. Merritt was 1-for-3 with the man advantage.

The Centennials next game is Saturday night against Westside, it's a 7:30 pm start at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena.