Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Former BCHL Defenceman Dave Simoes Signed By CHL's Missouri Mavericks:

D Dave Simoes, who played in the BCHL from 2001-06 with five different teams (Prince George, Williams Lake, Victoria, Merritt, Burnaby) has been signed by the Central Hockey League's Missouri Mavericks for the remainder of the 2011-12 season.

Here are the career statistics of the Vanderhoof native:

Here's the story on the signing from the Mavericks website:

December 27, 2011

MAVERICKS CONTINUE TO SHUFFLE ROSTER
Missouri signs defenseman Dave Simoes, trades defenseman and goaltender

INDEPENDENCE, Missouri – The Missouri Mavericks announced Tuesday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has signed defenseman Dave Simoes, traded defenseman Zach Carriveau, and traded goaltender Brian Mahoney-Wilson to the Bloomington Blaze. The Mavericks also announcec forward Carlyle Lewis has been activated from injured reserve.

“This is a move that allows us to add stability and leadership to our hockey club,” said Mavericks’ Head Coach Scott Hillman. “We have been working very hard to improve the performance of our blue line, and David Simoes is a veteran of the CHL that our fans will appreciate. He plays a hard-nosed brand of hockey. We are excited to make this change and wish Zach and Brian great success with their new clubs. They both made significant contributions to our club in their short time with us.”

Simoes, 26 (3/9/85), returns to the CHL after starting this season with the Louisiana IceGators of the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL). In 17 games with the IceGators, the Vanderhoof, British Columbia native accounted for 10 points (2-8=10) and 38 penalty minutes.

Prior to playing in Louisiana, the 5-foot-10, 205-pound defenseman played the previous four seasons in the CHL with five different teams. Simoes has played in a total of 219 CHL contests with 47 points (10-37=47) and he has added 672 penalty minutes.

He played five seasons of junior hockey in the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) before turning pro.