Friday, December 30, 2011

Counting BCHL Alumni in the NHL:

Many following the BC Hockey League count it as the best junior 'A' league in Canada and it got me thinking about how many current NHL rosters feature alumni from the BCHL.

Alan at the "Small Thoughts At Large" blog did the same calculation for the WHL, so I thought I would for the BCHL.

Number of Alumni in the NHL by BCHL Franchise:

Coquitlam: 5
Nanaimo: 5
Penticton: 5
Salmon Arm: 3
Alberni Valley: 2
Chilliwack: 2
Langley: 2
Surrey: 2
Vernon: 2
Victoria: 2
Kelowna: 1
Powell River: 1
Prince George: 1

And the team-by-team listing of each player, with their current NHL club:

Coquitlam (5): (Milan Lucic - Boston, David Jones - Colorado, Brandon Yip - Colorado, Kyle Turris - Ottawa, Andrew Ladd - Winnipeg)
Nanaimo (5): (Ryan O'Byrne - Colorado, Jason Garrison - Florida, Colin Greening - Ottawa, Byron Bitz - Vancouver, Tanner Glass - Winnipeg)
Penticton (5): (Brendan Morrison - Calgary, Zac Dalpe - Carolina, Duncan Keith - Chicago, Chuck Kobasew - Colorado, Ryan Johansen - Columbus)
Salmon Arm (3): (Riley Nash - Carolina, Travis Zajac - New Jersey, Andrew Ebbett - Vancouver)
Alberni Valley (2): (Paul Gaustad - Buffalo, Harry Zolnierczyk - Philadelphia)
Chilliwack (2): (Carey Price - Montreal, Brett Festerling - Winnipeg)
Langley (2): (Shawn Horcoff - Edmonton, David Van Der Gulik - Colorado)
Surrey (2): (Ben Maxwell - Anaheim, Scott Gomez - Montreal)
Vernon (2): (Mike Santorelli - Florida, Aaron Volpatti - Vancouver)
Victoria (2): (Jamie Benn - Dallas, Tyler Bozak - Toronto)
Kelowna (1): (Willie Mitchell - Los Angeles)
Powell River (1): (Clayton Stoner - Minnesota)
Prince George (1): (Rod Pelley - Anaheim)

Couple notes:

- Remember that these are FRANCHISE counts. So the Chilliwack count includes players who may only have played with the Quesnel Millionaires and the Langley count includes former Chilliwack Chiefs players.

- Players who played for more than one BCHL team are credited to the franchise they made the biggest impact with.

- There are four BCHL teams which don't feature an alumni in the NHL: Cowichan Valley, Merritt, Trail and Westside.

- And lastly, this is a snapshot in time only. Obviously there are many other BCHL alumni who are currently in the AHL and who may even have played games in the NHL this season, but they are not currently on NHL rosters TODAY and therefore they aren't counting in these totals.

2 comments:

  1. Mike Santorelli played for the Langley Hornets which obviously now is the Westside Warriors before being traded to Vernon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, but in my mind his biggest impact was in Vernon with 96 points in 60 games in 2003-04.

    ReplyDelete