Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Westside Signs Former Cents Tryout James Leonard, Releases Rob Kennedy:

According to Jon Zacks' Warriors blog, Westside has signed former Centennials tryout G James Leonard as the back-up to Steve Racine.

Since dressing as a back-up for the Cents as an AP back in the fall of 2009 and attending their spring camp in 2010, Leonard has played for the Kamloops Midget Lions AAA, Golden Rockets of the KIJHL and Spruce Grove of the AJHL.

There's no report that Leonard was traded to Westside from Spruce Grove and this is simply a release-and-sign situation, but I can't see that being the case only because it begs the question as to why the Saints would release an 18-year-old with a 6-0 record. I realize that Spruce Grove had three goalies on the roster, but I'm thinking they must have received something for Leonard, even if it was just cash. I guess we can keep an eye on either team's (and league's) transaction wire to see.

To Westside Warriors:
G James Leonard (93)