Friday, October 21, 2011

Trail Smoke Eaters Shake Up Roster:

The Trail Smoke Eaters shook up their core on Thursday, sending D Rajan Sidhu (91) to the Drumheller Dragons of the AJHL for G James D'Andrea (92) and future considerations.

The deal comes a day after Sidhu scored the winning goal as the Smokies upset the first place Penticton Vees.

The BCHL website is yet to post the trade, but Trail has posted it on its website.

Here's how the deal shakes down:

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
G James D'Andrea (92)

+ Future Considerations
To Drumheller Dragons:
D Rajan Sidhu (91)

With the acquisition of D'Andrea, it meant that something had to give between the pipes for the Smoke Eaters, and they relieved their glut of goaltenders by swinging another big trade with Alberni Valley.

To Trail Smoke Eaters:
F Taylor House (92)

D Marley Keca (93)

D Tanner Hicks (93)

To Alberni Valley Bulldogs:
G Matt Larose (92)

D Daniel Del Bianco (94)

D Eric Walker (93)

Here's the official release from Trail's website:

TRAIL, BC -- The Trail Smoke Eaters have completed a pair of trades involving a total of seven players today.

The Smoke Eaters have acquired goaltender James D'Andrea (92) from the AJHL's Drumheller Dragons in exchange for defenseman Rajan Sidhu (91).

"He was a goaltender we've had our eye on for a couple of weeks," stated Smoke Eaters head coach/general manager Bill Birks, "we're excited to bring him in to our program."

The Smoke Eaters also made a five-player transaction with the Alberni Valley Bulldogs, acquiring defensemen Marley Keca (93) and Tanner Hicks (92) as well as forward Taylor House (92).

In exchange, the Bulldogs receive goaltender Matt Larose (92) and defenseman Daniel DelBianco (94).

"We've acquired two defensemen who can fit into our top four," Birks said, "and House has the skill to be in our top two forward lines."

D'Andrea, a native of Calgary, Alberta, compiled an 11-20-4 record with a 4.11 GAA in 42 AJHL appearances with the Dragons and Calgary Canucks.

Hicks, a fellow Calgarian, scored 13 points in 26 games with Alberni Valley last season, and has also played in the AJHL with Olds.

Keca, a 6-1 defenseman from Kelowna, is entering his second full BCHL season, having scored 17 points in 65 appearances with Alberni Valley and Quesnel.

House, from Cochrane, Alberta, was a member of the 2011 KIJHL champion Osoyoos Coyotes, where he finished third on the team in scoring with 19 goals and 62 points.

The Smoke Eaters would like to welcome D'Andrea, Hicks, Keca and House to the organization, and thank Sidhu, DelBianco and Larose for their contributions in Trail during their time as Smoke Eaters.