Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Penticton Vees Captain Logan Johnston Suspended 20 Games by BCHL:

Eddie Gregory's Coquitlam Expressions blog reports that the BCHL has suspended Penticton captain Logan Johnston for 20 games for breaking Express forward Cody Michelle's jaw with a hit during an exhibition game last Saturday in Coquitlam.

Michelle is expected to be out of the Express line-up for an undetermined period of time due to the injury.

The Vees will be without their captain for the entire first third of the season due to the suspension.

No doubt the league is setting a precedent with the suspension and although I didn't see it, one could surmise that Johnston hit Michelle's head which caused the broken jaw. Again, that's pure speculation on my part, but Michelle's injury combined with Johnston's suspension history likely played a role in the BCHL office making its' decision. The veteran forward also served a four game suspension last season for a cross-check to Westside forward Alex Grieve.