Friday, September 9, 2011

Alberni Valley Forward Sawyer Mick Retires From BCHL:

The 20-year-old situation in Alberni Valley got a little clearer following the retirement of F Sawyer Mick (91).

This is posted on the Bulldogs website:

Port Alberni, BC – The Alberni Valley Bulldogs announced today Sawyer Mick has made a decision to retire from the Alberni Valley Bulldogs and hockey to pursue a new career as a firefighter.

Mick is enrolled in a 3-month firefighting course at Kilgore College in Kilgore, Texas. After Mick completes the course, he will participate in a 2-week practicum en route to becoming a firefighter.

"Sawyer is a great person and player,” said Bulldogs’ Head Coach and Assistant Director of Hockey Operations Paul Esdale. “His leadership and work ethic will be sorely missed, but we are happy to see him follow his dreams of becoming a firefighter."

Due to a shoulder injury, Mick felt that he wouldn’t be able to play the way he would have been expected to play. By pursuing a new career at this time, it also opens the door for another player to come in and experience great junior hockey in the Alberni Valley.

“I would like to thank everyone for the amazing opportunity to serve in the community and play hockey,” said Mick. “It was the best hockey town I have ever played in.”

Mick also added, “Big thanks to all the coaching staff, Tom McEvay, my billets, Rick and Cheri, and all the wonderful fans.”

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs organization wishes Sawyer all the best with his future endeavors.

For more information please contact assistant coach Adam Hayduk at 250.723.4412 or adam@albernivalleybulldogs.ca.