Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Victoria Royals Pleased to Add Former Cents Colour Commentator Marlon Martens as Radio Voice:

The Victoria Royals made it official today, announcing former Cents colour commentator and Merritt Broadcasting Ltd. Program Manager Marlon Martens as the WHL's teams new play-by-play announcer. Marlon played a role in hiring me here in Merritt and I took over the Morning Show and Program Manager duties when he moved on to Lethbridge back in 2002.

Here's the release from the Royals website:

ROYALS PLEASED TO ADD MARLON MARTENS AS RADIO VOICE

Victoria and The Zone @ 91.3 welcome veteran play-by-play voice

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Royals and radio broadcast partner The Zone @ 91.3 are pleased to welcome Marlon Martens as the new play-by-play voice for the upcoming 2011-12 season.

Martens arrives in Victoria after providing play-by-play coverage for the WHL’s Lethbridge Hurricanes from 2005 until 2007. Prior to moving into the play-by-play seat, Martens provided colour commentary for the team.

The Langley, B.C. native began calling games for the British Columbia Hockey League’s (BCHL) Burnaby Bulldogs while attending the British Columbia Institute of Technology.

Martens first went on-air at Radio NL in Merritt, where he eventually became Program Manager, while also providing colour commentary for the BCHL’s Merritt Centennials.