Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Powell River and Victoria Hook Up on Blockbuster Trade:

Powell River acquired a bonafide BCHL sniper in F Evan Richardson (94) from Victoria today in exchange for G Michael Garteig (91), F Scott Renner (92) and D Braeden Pears (93).

Here's the skinny on the deal...

To Powell River:
F Evan Richardson (94)

To Victoria:
G Michael Garteig (91)

F Scott Renner (92)

D Braeden Pears (93)

Here's the release from the Kings website:

Powell River, BC – August 2, 2011 - The Powell River Kings have acquired 17-year old forward Evan Richardson from the Victoria Grizzlies in an exchange for goaltender Michael Garteig, forward Scott Renner and defenseman Braedan Pears.

Head Coach and General Manager Kent Lewis says, “Evan Richardson is a young, quality player who is offensively gifted. With Evan, we know it is going to be a two way street where he’s going to strengthen the players he’s on the ice with and they’re going to compliment his play. He’s got a great group and community to fit in with here in Powell River.”

Hailing from Nanaimo, Evan Richardson played 55 games for the Grizzlies last season where he put up 12 goals and 30 assists. In May he secured a scholarship with BostonCollege for 2013. This past spring he was selected to play with a group of other BCHL players in Russia where he earned a silver medal.

Lewis notes that it was a tough decision to trade the Kings’ 2010-2011 MVP Michael Garteig, Renner and Pears. Lewis says, “We didn’t expect Garteig to be back so late in the day. We know Sean Maguire’s future in net is good and we didn’t think it’d be fair to either one to have both back in the line-up. Garteig is a leader, he can stand on his head in the net and last year’s winning record and saving percentage show what an impressive player he is.”

Lewis went on to say that he knows the Grizzlies are also acquiring two strong players in Pears and Renner. “Pears has been with the Kings for 2 years. He’s a great skater who will continue to develop as a key defenseman in the years to come. Renner is an extremely hard worker forward who is going to thrive in Victoria.”

The entire Kings’ organization wishes Michael, Scott and Braedan all the best in the future with the Victoria Grizzlies.

And the release from the Grizzlies point of view:

August 02, 2011 Victoria Grizzlies -

The Victoria Grizzlies have completed a trade with the Powell River Kings, sending Evan Richardson to the Kings in exchange for Michael Garteig, Braden Pears and Scott Renner.

It was an extremely difficult decision to move Evan, we believe he will be one of the top forwards in our league. But to get quality you have to give up quality.

Michael Garteig was the BCHL recipient of the Top Goaltender Trophy last season and in his 93 games in the BCHL has recorded 8 shut outs and an impressive 91% save average.

Braden Pears is a young defenseman who has already played two years in the BCHL. He is an excellent skater who has an ability to mature into a top offensive defenseman.

Getting Scott Renner was a real bonus in the deal, he is a real character player, a player you don’t want to play against, we expect Scott to be a leader in the dressing room and on the ice.