Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Penticton-Victoria Trade:

G Michael Garteig (91) wasn't a member of the Victoria Grizzlies for very long as the Penticton Vees acquired him in exchange for the rights to G Jamie Tucker (91).

Garteig had been traded to Victoria from Powell River as part of the deal that saw F Evan Richardson (94) go to the Kings.

Here's how this one shakes down...

To Penticton:
G Michael Garteig (91)

To Victoria:
G Jamie Tucker (91)

I would think that Tucker will join the Grizzlies as they are his hometown team and he found himself on a Prince Albert roster in the WHL with too many 20-year-olds.

Here's the release from the Vees website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, August 03, 2011

VEES ACQUIRE MICHAEL GARTEIG IN THREE TEAM TRADE

PENTICTON, BC– The Penticton Vees Hockey Club are pleased to announce the addition of Michael Garteig to the hockey club.

Garteig, a 20 year-old goaltender, was part of a three team trade between the Vees, Powell River Kings and Victoria Grizzlies.

Penticton acquired Garteig from the Victoria Grizzlies for the rights of fellow 20 year-old goaltender Jamie Tucker. Garteig was traded to Victoria early this week by the Powell River Kings.

The Prince George, BC native was named the BCHL Goaltender of the Year in 2010-11. Garteig appeared in 48 games for the Kings compiling an impressive 36-8-3 record and tied the BCHL single season shutout record at seven.

“Gartieg demonstrated that he was the best goalie in the BCHL last year” Said Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson. “Michael’s addition to our roster is significant, and is another step in our drive towards a championship.”

The Vees made room for Garteig by trading 20 year-old Billy Faust to the Nanaimo Clippers for future considerations.

Faust is 20 year-old goalie who appeared in 24 games for the Vees in two seasons in the British Columbia Hockey League.

“Faust is a very good goalie and, more importantly, a great kid” Said Vees Head Coach and GM Fred Harbinson. “Billy has worked very hard all summer, and I’m sure will be a very good addition for Nanaimo.”

Faust played in 23 games in 2010-11 sporting a record of 11-7-0-0 while collecting one shutout.

Prior to the Vees, the Altaloma, California native, spent one season with the Nelson Leafs of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League, culminating with a league championship in 2009.

The entire Vees organization would like to welcome Michael Garteig to the hockey club, and also thank Billy for contributions to the team & community and wish him all the best in his future with the Nanaimo Clippers.