Thursday, August 4, 2011

Former Centennials Forward Jesse Fratkin Signs With ECHL's Stockton Thunder:

Forward Jesse Fratkin, who was the Centennials rookie of the year in 2006, has signed with the ECHL's Stockton Thunder.

He's the sixth player from the Cents roster that season who has a pro contract for the 2011-12 season, joining Casey Pierro-Zabotel, Wade MacLeod, Brandon Wong, Alan Mazur and Brad Thiessen.

Thunder Signs Rookie Right Winger Jesse Fratkin

STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder, proud ECHL affiliate of the Edmonton Oilers and San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League, and head coach Matt Thomas announced today that the team has signed rookie free agent right winger Jesse Fratkin. Per club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Fratkin, 23, is one of two newcomers to join the Thunder roster on the same day, including rookie free agent defenseman Nathan Deck.

"Jesse is a player who brings a lot of potential that we're excited to sign," said Thomas. "His college head coach, Brendan Whittet, spoke highly of his hockey sense, two-way game and speed - the third item serving an area we're looking to improve on. He's demonstrated an excellent ability to make his linemates better. We feel the sky is the limit given his ability and potential opportunities to produce at the pro level."

The 6-foot, 180-pound forward skated in 99 career games in college at Brown University (NCAA), scoring 32 points (14g-18a) and notching 48 penalty minutes. Additionally, Fratkin was honored for his commitment in the classroom during all four seasons (2007-11) as a four-time honoree on the ECAC Hockey All-Academic Team.

He totaled 13 points (6g-7a) and ten penalty minutes in 26 games as a 2010-11 senior.

Fratkin previously suited up in 118 career games through three seasons (2004-07) with Penticton, Merritt and Prince George of the British Columbia Hockey League, where he produced over an average of a point per game with 128 points (49g-79a).

The Burnaby, British Columbia native led Prince George in scoring in 2006-07 with 74 points (26g-48a) in 60 games and also paced the club with 48 assists.

"I've been waiting to play pro hockey all my life and getting a chance to begin that dream with the Thunder is an exciting opportunity," said Fratkin. "Coach Thomas expects offense in an increased role for me at the pro level, which I found very inspiring. Other players, like (Oklahoma City Barons forward) Andrew Lord, had great things to say about the reputation the Thunder have with their fans, community and league. It's a great place to start playing."

Fratkin is one of five players to join the Thunder roster during the offseason, which includes Deck, center Jordan Foreman, left winger Jordan Fulton and right winger Bretton Cameron.