Friday, August 19, 2011

Cowichan Valley Signs QMJHL Veteran Matt Brown:

Photo courtesy of René Baillargeon, Le Journal de Québec

The Cowichan Valley Capitals have filled one of their import spots and 20-year-old spots with F Matt Brown (91), who has four years of experience in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with Moncton and Quebec.

Here's an article from the Truro Daily News confirming the move...

Brown to skate in BCHL this season
Published on August 18, 2011 - Joey Smith RSS Feed

Bearcats miss out on experienced major junior forward

TRURO - Matthew Brown aspires to play professional hockey and feels a season in the heavily scouted British Columbia Hockey League will give him the best opportunity to attain that goal.

As a result, Brown, 20, will suit up with the Cowichan Valley Capitals of the 16-team BCHL for his final season of junior hockey.

"I kind of wanted to go with the best opportunity to play pro," said Brown, an Upper Brookside native. "It's my last year of junior and my agent (Al Roy) felt this would be the best opportunity as far as professional exposure goes. There's some NHL scouting out here and (other) professional scouting and that's kind of something that was a decisive factor in the whole situation."

Brown has played the past four seasons in the Quebec major junior league for two teams. He was drafted by the Moncton Wildcats in 2007 and was traded to the Quebec Remparts in January 2010.

He said his first option this season was to return to the Q-league. However, teams are permitted to keep just three 20-year-olds, and with an abundance of overage players available this season, Brown found himself exploring other options before settling on Cowichan.

"They told me they want me to come out here and put up points and be one of the go-to guys, so there's not much more you can ask for as far as a nice spot to play and the position that I'm going to be in," said Brown, who landed in B.C. on Tuesday.

Brown said he gave serious consideration to skating this season for his hometown Truro junior A Bearcats after playing for Bearcats coach and GM Shawn Evans at a tournament in Massachusetts this summer.

"I was talking with Shawn a lot over the summer and I was definitely keeping Truro in mind," said Brown.

Evans said he tried hard to convince Brown to play in Truro and is "very disappointed" he didn't land the six-foot, 195-pound centre.

"Matt would have done many things for our program and for our town," Evans said.

"But at the same time, Matt's still a player that has the right to go play and make the decisions that he feels are best for him."

Cowichan finished last in the eight-team Coastal Conference last season and missed the playoffs. Brown, who had six goals and 19 points in the Q last season, said he looks forward to the challenge of helping the Capitals return to the post-season.

"They really want to get back and I'm going to be playing a key role, so I'm really excited for that," he said.

Brown will make his new home in Duncan, B.C., a city located halfway between Victoria and Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

"It's unreal," he said. "The scenery is absolutely beautiful out here and the people that I've met so far are just awesome."