Sunday, August 28, 2011

Coquitlam Signs F Ben Murphy from EJHL's Bay State Breakers:

I'm not sure how I missed this earlier this month, but Coquitlam has signed F Ben Murphy (91) from the Bay State Breakers of the EJHL for the 2011-12 season.

The addition gives the Express just four 20 year old players, so head coach and GM Jon Calvano still has room to add two more if he wants.

It doesn't really count as a trade, but Coquitlam did have to provide a transfer fee to Bay State for signing Murphy.

To Coquitlam:
F Ben Murphy (91)

Here's the article from the Coquitlam Now newspaper announcing the signing:

In just over two weeks from now, puck meets ice.

At that point, the Coquitlam Express will get an early jump on the 2011-12 B.C. Hockey League season.

Re-tooling and addressing areas of need have kept head coach Jon Calvano busy the past few months.

Upon returning from an elite hockey program tournament trip to Boston - where his 13-14 year olds won the Beantown tourney - Calvano announced two more acquisitions for the Express.

The B.C. Hockey League squad, ramping up for the 2011-12 season and a heated chase for one of just four conference playoff berths, added 18-year-old defenceman Jason Bird and 20-year-old centre Ben Murphy.

"We're pretty excited about the camp and the players who we've brought in," said Calvano. "There's going to be a lot of new faces. We've brought in a number of highly recruited players, but there will be plenty of opportunities for position battles and spots."

Bird, a six-foot-one, 191-pound blueliner, was acquired from the Ontario junior league's Vaughan Vipers, where he posted two goals and eight assists in 42 games.

"Jason has that junior experience, he's a stay-at-home type who moves the puck well and has a strong shot," Calvano said of the Etobicoke, Ont. native.

Murphy's rights were purchased after he made a favourable impression during Coquitlam's May camp for import players. Last year the six-foot-one forward played 42 games for the U.S.-based Eastern Junior Hockey League, racking up a team-high 18 goals and 14 assists.

"Last year when we were playing the likes of Surrey and Langley we found that down the middle, while we had the skill in Massimo (Lamacchia) and Destry (Straight), we were lacking a bigger presence to line up against their big guys," noted Calvano. "Murphy's a guy who we can match against those larger players who can counteract their size."