Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chilliwack Chiefs Announce 2011-12 Broadcast Team, Includes Former Cents Forward Cam Campbell:

I'm not sure what happened since the announcement earlier this summer that Randy Merkley would be back behind the mic in Chilliwack calling the Chiefs games this season, but the Chiefs (?) announced Merkley's replacement on their site.

I'm confused by the whole thing, because even on The Hawk's website, Merkley is still listed as their sports director.

Regardless, another young, fresh face joins the ranks of BCHL broadcasters with Marcus Fitzgerald taking over the Chiefs gig.

Collin M. also sent me a note to remind me that Cameron Campbell played two seasons here in Merritt, great to see a Centennials alumni in the broadcast booth. Campbell actually played with the Cents from 1992-94.

Here's the release from the Chiefs website...

Broadcast Team Announced
Friday, August 19, 2011

89.5 The Hawk is pleased to welcome Marcus Fitzgerald as Sports Director/News Reporter and Play-By-Play Host of the Chilliwack Chiefs. Marcus has spent the previous 4 years as Morning Co-Host, News & Sports Anchor, Hockey Color Analyst/fill in Play-By-Play Hostfor the Brooks Bandits Junior A Hockey team.

He has been extremely active in his community as an assistant coach to the St. Joseph's Collegiate Intermediate boys basketball team; involvement in the "Relay for Life" and the Southern Alberta Summer Games Opening Ceremonies.

Marcus has great natural talent and we look forward to what he will be bringing to the team.

Marcus was born and raised in Port Coquitlam, therefore he is very happy to be relocating to Chilliwack in early September.

The Chilliwack Chiefs are pleased to announce Cam Campbell as Colour Commentator on ALL Chilliwack Chiefs Broadcasts on 89.5 The Hawk.

Cam Campbell has an extensive hockey background that includes playing in the Chilliwack Minor Hockey system and for the 1994-95 Chilliwack Chiefs, who won a BCJHL Championship.

Cam has coached Minor Hockey for 17 years and was a Head Coach of the Abbotsford Pilots Jr. B team. He is currently the Head Instructor at Goal Line Hockey Training Centre and is a proud dad of two boys aged 9 and 12.

Glen Ringdal, President of the Chilliwack Chiefs and Kevin Gemmell, Station Manager of 89.5 The Hawk are pleased to bring a Professional and knowledgeable team to Chiefs Fans as 89.5 The Hawk carries ALL HOME and AWAY Chiefs Games for the 2011-2012 season.

Games will be heard Live on 89.5 The Hawk and Online at www.895thehawk.com.

1 comment:

  1. Cam Campbell also played for the Merritt Centennials in the early 90s before he was traded back to Chilliwack.

    ReplyDelete