Monday, August 22, 2011

Cents Announce Exhibition Game Against SFU Clan Men's Hockey Team:

The Centennials announced today another game on their exhibition schedule as they'll face the BCIHL's SFU Clan men's hockey team. There are a few story lines heading into this game that I'm looking forward to.

First, the game is the Centennials first home game since Game Four of last season's playoffs. Second, the SFU team features former Cents defenceman Todd Fletcher while his brother Brent is a member of this year's Centennials team and it'll be great to see the siblings face off against each other. Third, the game marks the return of goaltender Graeme Gordon to the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena. Gordon played 22 games in Merritt, split between the 2007-08 and 2008-09 season, compiling a 5-15-0-0 record.

I'll have more on the game as we get closer to the date, although I'll get an interview with Cents coach and GM Luke Pierce regarding the game posted tomorrow.

Here's the release from the Cents website.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - August 22, 2011

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce that they've added a game against the Simon Fraser University Clan of the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League on Friday, September 9th at the Nicola Valley Memorial Arena to their exhibition schedule.

"We are excited to be hosting SFU here in Merritt in what will be a unique opportunity for us," said Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce. "The game promises to be very competitive and we will approach it as another chance for us to prepare for our season."

"The game provides our players the chance to get a first-hand look at a very good team in what is quickly becoming a very attractive league for our graduates to play in," Pierce continued. "It goes hand-in-hand with our approach towards promoting education for our players and I'd like to thank SFU general manager Jeff Dubois for reaching out to us and giving us this tremendous opportunity."

"We're looking forward to making the trip to Merritt and giving a couple of ex-Centennials on our roster the chance to face their old team," said SFU general manager Jeff Dubois. "It's also a good opportunity for fans in Merritt to see how good the calibre of play is in the BCIHL and leave a positive impression on some potential future recruits."