Sunday, July 10, 2011

Trade Between Cowichan Valley & Surrey Coming?

This was posted on The Province website today. Seems a deal is coming soon between the Capitals and Eagles.

I've taken the key part of the article as it relates to a trade and pasted it here. The rest of the article is below.

The plan is for Brandon to come out west from Toronto and play this season for Surrey in the BC Hockey League – where he can be close to Chris. The move has been complicated, though, by Penticton acquiring his rights and then trading them to Cowichan Valley. But Cowichan GM Jim Ingram said Friday that a deal is being worked on with Surrey that would allow it to happen.

Tanev brothers working on one hockey dream
By Jim Jamieson, The Province

The likeness is so striking that if you don't look twice you'd think that was Chris Tanev out there, skating with three dozen others at the Canucks' annual prospects camp.

Not too likely, seeing as Tanev showed he has NHL chops after a call-up in the regular season and even more impressively during the playoffs.

This Tanev is brother Brandon, two years younger at 19, but who may have the same late-blooming genes as his older sibling. Chris, a defenceman, found himself playing in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final barely a year after finishing his only year of college hockey at Rochester Institute of Technology.

Brandon is a forward and is hoping the same journey is in his GPS.

“It's a good opportunity, a chance to show my skills for the Vancouver Canucks and hopefully down the road I get to where (Chris) is at and play in the NHL,” said Brandon, who was invited to the camp as a free agent.

Brandon, also a late-grower like his brother, just got back to competitive hockey this season after sitting out four-plus seasons due to his small size. Chris, though, missed just two seasons for the same reason. At age 14 Brandon was maybe 4-9 and 85 pounds. Like Chris, he played high school hockey and roller hockey in the summer to keep some contact with the game.

He returned this season, with Markham Waxers of the Ontario Tier 2 junior league, and put up 16-26-42 in 46 games.

Now close to 6-feet tall and 160 pounds, he’s still a ways behind Chris – who’s 6-foot-2, 185 pounds.

Brandon's dad Mike, who also travelled to Vancouver, said the Canucks' invitation to the camp – which winds up on Monday -- will be invaluable for Brandon.

“I think this is going to be an eye-opening experience and I think once he realizes if he can compete with some of these guys that have been playing hockey at a very high level, then his confidence level is going to soar through the roof,” said Mike.

Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner said a year in the BCHL would benefit Brandon hugely.

“He impressed our guys that went to watch him this year with his skill and speed,” said Gagner. “Coming to this camp adds to his experience. He'll see a lot of things for the first time. If he's able to play in the BC junior league it should give

him a good kick-start to having a solid year. He's a special kid, but he needs to continue to grow both physically and mentally.”

Brandon claims he and his older brother have pretty similar personalities. Not as far as his parents are concerned.

“He's a different player than Christopher,” said their mother, Sophie Meredith.

“They're very much opposites. Christopher is very calm and Brandon is not. Brandon gets wound up a little easier.”

Different people, but working on the same hockey dream.
© Copyright (c) The Province