Thursday, July 21, 2011

Surrey-Langley Trade:

According to the Surrey Now newspaper, Surrey and Langley have swung a trade that sees F Brandon Scholten (92) join the Eagles from the Rivermen for future considerations. Here's how the deal breaks down:

To Surrey:
F Brandon Scholten (92)

To Langley:
Future Considerations (likely cash)

Here's the article from the Surrey Now newspaper:
The Surrey Eagles added a physical dimension to their lineup with a trade to pick up Brandon Scholten from B.C. Hockey League rival Langley Rivermen Tuesday.

The hulking Scholten scored two goals and two assists in an injury-filled season with Langley last year. While his scoring totals aren't eye-catching, his physical play keeps opposing players on edge whenever they face him.

"We had kind of identified him last year as a player we were interested in when we played Langley so many times," said Eagles coach Matt Erhart. "He has a really big, physical presence on the ice and one thing we identified as an area we need to improve in order to make the next step is to get tougher as a team. Brandon is the kind of player who, if he is in the right situation with the right group of players around him, can be more than just a big body that intimidates."

The Aldergrove native started out as a defenceman before switching to forward with the Vancouver Giants of the Western Hockey League. Erhart said Scholten's versatility was a bonus for the Eagles when they decided to send future considerations to the Rivermen to secure his services.

"Brandon's been playing forward for the last few years but with the new rules (in the BCHL) and the smaller rosters, he's a player who can also play defence if we need him to," Erhart said. "That's a huge benefit to have, especially if you're on the road and injuries pop up. He's flexible in what he can do position-wise and that made him very attractive for us."