Sunday, July 10, 2011

Former Cents Defenceman Alan Mazur Takes His Game to Europe:

Another former Cents player is taking their game to Europe as Alan Mazur is set to join Dundee Stars (EIHL) for the 2011-12 season. Here's from the Cents website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Dundee, Scotland - July 10, 2011

Stars' head coach, Dan Ceman, has signed 25 year old defenceman, Alan Mazur, for the 2011-12 season.

The 6ft 1in, 185lbs blueliner joins the Taysiders from the Bloomington Prairie Thunder of the Central Hockey League where he was one of only two defencemen chosen for the All Rookie Team for the Central Hockey League.

After starting his hockey career in the BCHL with the Coquitlam Express and Merritt Centennials, he then had a successful four year college career with Rochester Institute of Technology before joining the Thunder at the beginning of last season.

Ceman didn't hide his pleasure at signing the player when he said, "Alan will be a key part of our success this year. He moves the puck extremely well, has a great shot on the power play and plays an intense, physical brand of hockey as well. I have heard nothing but good things about Alan's on ice play and just as importantly he is a great teammate and a solid citizen. Alan had several teams in the East Coast Hockey League pursuing him as well as from Europe so I was very excited to finalize his contract."

Speaking from North America, Alan added, "I've heard a lot of great things from friends that are in the British Elite League, and am pretty excited to join a good organization like the Dundee Stars. I'm looking forward to living in and seeing what Scotland is all about. I also have heard so many good things about Stars' fans so I can't wait to meet them."

Mazur played a total of 166 games in the BC Hockey League, including 38 in Merritt during the 2005-06 season. He helped lead a potent Centennials attack during his time in Merritt, posting 12 goals and 46 assists for an average of 1.5 points per game.

Here's the line on Alan Mazur: