Monday, June 6, 2011

Former Cents goaltender Keith Hamilton Traded from Portland to Victoria:

Keith Hamilton, who spent most of the 2009-10 season with the Centennials, has been traded in the Western Hockey League.

Here's from the WHL site:

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Western Hockey League (WHL) Franchise is proud to announce they have completed a trade with the Portland Winterhawks for goaltender Keith Hamilton in exchange for Victoria’s 3rd, 4th and 8th round picks in the 2012 Bantam Draft.

The Kelowna, BC native joins Victoria after compiling a 17-6-0-2 record with one shutout during the 2010-11 season. Over that span he earned a 2.91 goals against average that ranked 11th in WHL and a save percentage of 0.914 that ranked 6th in the league. The second-year major junior netminder had two relief appearances during the 2011 WHL Playoffs where he played 41 minutes and allowed two goals.

“Keith is a technically sound goalie who comes to us from a very successful program in Portland,” General Manager and Head Coach Marc Habscheid said. “He will push for the starting job this year, and has solidified our goaltending corps as we now have three quality goaltenders at different age ranges in Hamilton, Braden Gamble and Jared Rathjen.’

The 19-year-old Hamilton was a member of the silver medal winning Team Pacific at the 2009 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge Cup.

Portland, OR -- The Portland Winterhawks have traded goaltender Keith Hamilton to the Victoria WHL franchise (formerly the Chilliwack Bruins) in exchange for third, fourth and eighth round picks in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

Hamilton put up career-highs across the board last season with a record of 17-6-0-2, including a 29-save shutout on March 5 at Vancouver, a goals against average of 2.91 and 91.4% save percentage. He also saw action in two playoff games, posting a 2.94 goals against average and 92.3% save percentage.

Hamilton also played nine games for the Winterhawks in the 2008-09 season. He spent the 2009-10 season with the Merritt Centennials with the British Columbia Hockey League while remaining on the Winterhawks’ protected list.

“In his three years with our organization both as a backup and a starter, Keith showed terrific character and became a very good goaltender. This trade will allow Keith the opportunity to get more playing time and a chance to be a starter in the league,” said Portland Winterhawks General Manager & Head Coach Mike Johnston. “In addition, we didn’t want to enter next season with two 19-year-old goalies. In recent weeks we have signed two promising young goaltenders in Brendan Burke and Jarrod Schamerhorn, and we’re confident one of them will step up and do a good job as the backup next season.”