Monday, May 9, 2011

Quesnel Owners Accept Chilliwack Offer for BCHL's Millionaires:

Quesnel owners accept Chilliwack offer for BCHL's Millionaires

By Tyler Olsen, Chilliwack Times May 9, 2011

The owners of the Quesnel Millionaires have accepted an offer from the Chiefs Development Group to buy the British Columbia Hockey League team and move it to Chilliwack.

The owners voted unanimously Saturday to accept the offer, according to Millionaires president Bob Sales.

CDG consultant Glen Ringdal confirmed the groups had agreed to terms. When reached for comment Monday morning, Ringdal said he hadn't yet been notified that the 15 owners of the Millionaires had ratified the sale.

But he did say "we're working hard to make something good happen."

The move will now go to the BCHL's board of governors, which must approve the sale and relocation of the club. Last week the league's franchise committee agreed to allow the board to vote on the move, despite it being well past the normal December deadline for relocation.

Sales says it could be a couple weeks until a vote is taken.

While Saturday's meeting was an emotional one, Sales said the owners had no choice but to sell the club.

"It was really tough for us," said Sales. "We just found that we couldn't continue any longer. We were just losing so much money."

If the club isn't moved, it would likely have folded with the players scattered throughout the league.

Sales said the news will be well-received by the Millionaires' players.

"The kids will be going to an excellent situation," said Sales. "I think it would be a tremendous move for our kids."

© Copyright (c) Chilliwack Times