Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lots of BIG Cents News:

It's been a crazy week in the world of the Centennials.

First, great news for captain Steve Tresierra with his commitment to Queen's University. I'll have reaction from Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce on Steve's commitment sometime tomorrow. I hope to reaction from Steve himself soon too. Here's from the Cents website:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Merritt, BC - May 25, 2011

The Merritt Centennials are pleased to announce defenceman and captain Steve Tresierra has accepted an offer to play for the Queen's University Golden Gaels starting in the 2011-12 season.

Tresierra played all 60 regular season games in each of the past two seasons for the Cents and established a new personal best this year with nine goals on the campaign. He scored 27 points for the second year in a row and finished his BCHL career with 21 goals and 64 assists in 206 games.

The 5-foot-11, 190-pound Golden, BC, product played four seasons in the league after beginning his career with the Vernon Vipers. He came to Merritt midway through the 2008-09 campaign. He captained the club to consecutive playoff appearances the last two years as the Centennials improved their point totals each year he was in Merritt.

"I think he'll carry the same thing over to Queen's as he did for us," said Cents Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce. "He'll be a leader and the type of player and person you can build a program around."

"He's everything you want for a small-town hockey club because he gets involved in the community, just like he did here in Merritt, and others follow him."

Tresierra becomes the second straight Centennials captain to go to Queen's as Jordan Soquila went to the Kingston, Ont. campus last season.

It hasn't yet been confirmed by Luke Pierce to me, but the Creston Valley Thundercats are reporting that Joe Martin has joined the Centennials on a two-year contract as Assistant Coach/GM.

I heard rumblings about the status of last season's Assistant Coach Chad DeLeeuw, but I can confirm that he won't be back behind the Cents bench in 2011-12.

I should have more on this breaking story in the next day or so.