Sunday, May 22, 2011

Former Cents Defenceman Derek Hills to Attend Bowling Green:

Former Cents defenceman Derek Hills, who joined the Amarillo Bulls of the NAHL last off-season, has committed to Bowling Green University.

Here's the release from the Bulls website:

AMARILLO, TX – The Amarillo Bulls, proud members of the North American Hockey League, announced today (Thursday) that Captain Derek Hills has committed to Bowling Green State University (CCHA Hockey) for the 2011-20112 season.

“It is a great achievement for Derek, a player who entrusted us to come down from the British Columbia Hockey League to Amarillo, Texas. He was able to lead a first-year program to the Robertson Cup, and then at the end of his eligibility to go to a great school like Bowling Green in the CCHA,” said Bulls Head Coach Dennis Williams, who himself is a BGSU alumni both as a player and a coach.

“It is a great testament to the type of player and character he has. I think Bowling Green is not only getting a fantastic hockey player, more importantly a terrific person who competes hard, and who buys into what you are trying to do. He is a great leader on the ice, in the locker room and in the community. He will be a great addition to the Falcon family.”

Hills, a native of Campbell River, British Columbia, had 7 goals and 25 assists for 32 points in 57 games for the Bulls. He was a +15 on the ice and had 12 power play assists. In the NAHL post season, Hills led all defenseman with 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 points. Hills was selected to the all South Division team and was named to the Robertson Cup All-Tournament Team.

“I am pretty excited that I committed,” Hills said from his home in Canada. “It was a great campus when I went down there, and it is going to be a good fit for me. Coach (Chris) Bergeron and I mesh very well.

“A big part of me committing was having an opportunity to play in one of the top divisions in NCAA hockey. My plan is not just to play at BGSU but to move into the top four of the d-core and work from there.”

Williams said it is a nice feeling to have one of his own players commit to his alma mater of BGSU.

“Obviously Bowling Green is near and dear to me and to have a player like Derek’s stature and ability bringing what he can bring, Bowling Green and Chris Bergeron is getting a great hockey player and he will do well there,” Williams added. “Not only do I have an interest in Bowling Green as an alumni, but more interest with one of my former players being able to play there.”