Thursday, April 14, 2011

Langley Rivermen Sail Into the BCHL:

News 1130 radio in Vancouver is reporting that the Langley Chiefs will be renamed the Rivermen, effective the 2011-12 season.

In the same report, they say that the Chiefs nickname will go back to Chilliwack should the BCHL return to that community following the relocation of the WHL's Bruins.

I have no idea if the above logo will even be close to what the new logo looks like for Langley, but the ECHL's Peoria Rivermen is a good starting point.

There's also been a ton of speculation as to how the BCHL returns to Chilliwack and as far as I can tell, there are two scenarios.

1) Moray Keith and his group, who recently sold the Rivermen (nee Chiefs) to Roy Henderson and his group, outbid any local group in Quesnel and move the Millionaires to Prospera Centre once the Chilliwack Bruins WHL move to Victoria is official. The BCHL for 2011-12 looks like this:

Coastal Conference
Alberni Valley
Chilliwack
Coquitlam
Cowichan Valley
Langley
Nanaimo
Powell River
Surrey
Victoria

Interior Conference
Merritt
Penticton
Prince George
Salmon Arm
Trail
Vernon
Westside

Would the league like a 9-7 imbalance between the Conferences? I would think not, maybe Chilliwack comes into the Interior, but I really can't see that happening.

2) A local group in Quesnel bands together and puts up enough cash to keep the Mills afloat and Keith and Co. purchase the dormant and suspended Williams Lake Timberwolves franchise to play in Chilliwack, again, once the relocation of the WHL's Bruins is rubber stamped. The BCHL in 2011-12 would look like this:

Coastal Conference
Alberni Valley
Chilliwack
Coquitlam
Cowichan Valley
Langley
Nanaimo
Powell River
Surrey
Victoria

Interior Conference
Merritt
Penticton
Prince George
Quesnel
Salmon Arm
Trail
Vernon
Westside

Would the league prefer this 9-8 imbalance? Probably, since we saw it as recently as the 2009-10 season, except obviously with the 9 teams being in the Interior then as opposed to the Coast under this alignment. I would think that the BCHL would also like to no longer have a dormant franchise under its watch.