Friday, April 8, 2011

Cents Spring Camp Wrap, Brad Thiessen Named AHL Goalie of the Year:

Sorry I haven't had time to post this earlier this week, but Cents Coach/GM Luke Pierce took the time to sit down with me immediately after Spring Camp to talk about the weekend.

Some players I was definitely impressed with, but truth be told I wasn't able to really focus on the games I saw because I was there with my 2.5 year old son.

Here are Luke's thoughts:

I hope to have a breakdown of the Cents roster/depth chart posted in the next couple of days as the off-season rolls on.

(Photo courtesy of American Hockey League)

Huge congrats to former Cents netminder Brad Thiessen on winning the Baz Bastien Award as AHL Goaltender of the Year!

From the AHL website:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Brad Thiessen of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins has been named the winner of the Aldege “Baz” Bastien Memorial Award as the AHL’s outstanding goaltender for the 2010-11 season, as voted by coaches, players and members of the media in each of the league’s 30 cities.

Thiessen has posted a sparkling record of 34-7-1 in 44 appearances and ranks first in the AHL with his franchise-record 34 wins, second with a 1.93 goals-against average, ninth with a .922 save percentage and tied for first with seven shutouts while helping the Penguins to the top-ranked defense in the AHL. The 2010-11 First Team AHL All-Star was twice named the Reebok/AHL Goaltender of the Month this season – sharing the honor in October 2010 with Penguins teammate John Curry – and was the Reebok/AHL Player of the Week for the week ending Feb. 13. He was also voted the starting Eastern Conference goaltender at the 2011 AHL All-Star Classic but missed the event due to injury. Thiessen, whose record includes an 18-3-1 mark on the road, has not lost back-to-back decisions all season.

A second-year pro from Aldergrove, B.C., Thiessen signed with Pittsburgh on Apr. 8, 2009, following three seasons at Northeastern University. He becomes the second Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goaltender to win the Aldege “Baz” Bastien Memorial Award, which honors former Pittsburgh Penguins general manager Baz Bastien. Bastien played four seasons in goal with the AHL’s Pittsburgh Hornets (1945-49) before suffering a career-ending eye injury, and would go on to serve as head coach and general manager of the Hornets, leading them to the 1967 Calder Cup championship.

Previous winners of the award, first presented in 1984, include Jon Casey (1985), Sam St. Laurent (1986), Mark Laforest (1987, 1991), Felix Potvin (1992), Manny Legace (1996), Martin Biron (1999), Dwayne Roloson (2001), Jason LaBarbera (2004, 2007), Ryan Miller (2005), Dany Sabourin (2006), Michael Leighton (2008), Cory Schneider (2009) and Jonathan Bernier (2010).