Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Midget Rep Centennials onto Semifinals at Provincials, Wade MacLeod signs Pro Tryout Contract, scores in his first AHL game, Steve Munn to retire?:

The Merritt Midget Rep Centennials won their game at the Tier 3 Midget Provincials in Cranbrook today 6-3 over Windermere and then got some help from West Vancouver to advance to the semifinals tomorrow.

The Jr. Cents meet Sooke tomorrow night at 8 o'clock. Brendan Colter, who was in camp with the Jr. A Centennials last August, had four goals in the win today. The Midgets needed Smithers to win outright or West Vancouver to win by a substantial margin tonight to advance as only the top two teams move on to the semifinals. With the win, West Vancouver, Merritt and Smithers all finished with a record of 3-1. Merritt and West Van both advanced due to owning the tiebreaker over Smithers.

A huge congrats goes out to former Centennials sniper Wade MacLeod, who signed a pro tryout contract on Monday with the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League and then went out and scored his first pro goal tonight in a 3-2 loss to the Connecticut Whale, a team which started the season with another ex-Centennial in Brandon Wong on its roster.

Wade played on a line with 2008 Columbus first round draft pick Nikita Filatov and Ben Guite, a veteran of 175 NHL games.

Here's the story on Wade scoring his first pro goal from the Falcons website:

FALCONS ONE SHORT AGAINST WHALE

March 23, 2011 - The Springfield Falcons built a two goal lead Wednesday night, but the Connecticut Whale came back with three unanswered goals of their own to skate away with a 3-2 win over the Falcons at the XL Center. Rookies Wade MacLeod and Paul Dainton both made their AHL debuts on Wednesday night with MacLeod scoring a goal and Dainton stopping 31 of 34 shots.

The Falcons night started out well as MacLeod scored his first goal as a pro in his first period as a pro giving the Falcons a 1-0 lead at 18:02 of the first period. MacLeod signed an ATO contract on Monday, had his first practice with the Falcons on Tuesday and made his AHL debut on Wednesday. MacLeod recently finished his collegiate career with Northeastern University.

Dainton, who signed an ATO contract Monday, was impressive making his first AHL/Pro start Wednesday night. Dainton recently completed his college career at UMass-Amherst.

In the second period, the Falcons built a 2-0 lead at 8:59 when Cody Goloubef tallied his fifth goal of the year assisted by Tomas Kubalik and Trevor Smith. Connecticut cut their deficit to 2-1 when Derek Couture scored his second marker of the year at 11:52 of the second period.

In the third period, Connecticut started the frame with a power play and Dale Weise took advantage as he tied the score at 2-2 with a power play marker just 54-seconds into the final period. With the game deadlocked midway through the third period, John Mitchell converted at 11:17 giving the Whale their first lead of the night at 3-2. The goal marked the second time this month that Mitchell tallied a late third period goal against the Falcons leading Connecticut to victory.

Here's the story from the Northeastern Huskies website about Wade signing with Springfield:

Boston, Mass. - March 21, 2011

Northeastern men’s hockey alum Wade MacLeod signed an amateur tryout agreement with the Springfield Falcons as announced by the club on Monday afternoon, March 21.

Springfield is an American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets.

MacLeod leaves Northeastern as the most battle-tested Husky, skating in 149 career games, marking the most of any skater in program history.

"It's amazing how quickly the last four years have gone by," MacLeod said. "I could not have excelled and made it to the next level without the help of my coaching staff and teammates."

The Coquitlam, B.C., native led the Huskies in scoring for the last three seasons and posted career-highs in his senior go-round in goals (22), assists (23) and points (45).

For his career, MacLeod tallied 61 goals and 76 assists for 137 points in 149 games played. MacLeod’s 61 goals tied NU assistant coach Sebastien Laplante’s total for 21st-best in Northeastern history. The 5-11 forward’s 76 helpers are also tied for 21st most of all-time, drawing even with David O’Brien (76).

MacLeod leaves Huntington Avenue tied as the 20th-most prolific scorer in program history (137 points), tying Gerry Cowie (1978-82) and Paul McDougall (1978-82).

MacLeod attained 35 career multi-point games, including 11 this season. He finished as a +8 for his career and netted 12 game-winning goals along the way.

MacLeod was named a Hockey East Second-Team All-Star on March 17 at the annual league banquet in Cambridge, Mass.

It sounds like former Centennials defenceman Steve Munn is preparing to hang up the skates at the end of the 2010-11 season.

Here's an article from The Star newspaper's website in Sheffield, England:

STEVE MUNN has delivered a two-goal ‘goodbye’ to Sheffield Steelers fans.

The defenceman scored a unique double for the champions, as they confirmed the title in Sunday’s 7-2 win over Braehead Clan. Munn, the darling of thousands of Steelers fans, dedicated the goals to the supporters as he intends to retire at the end of the Play Offs, which start tonight (Dundee Stars, home, 7.30pm.)

“I haven’t scored two goals since I was about nine years old” laughed Munn.

“I have a lot of clubs in my bag that I don’t really bring out very often. I have a lot of tricks - a secret weapon, you know!

Munn, 32, said the last team for which he bagged a brace was probably ‘Esso Blues’ (a junior side sponsored by a petrol station in Saskatchewan, Canada.) “We had nine skaters, that’s three D, six forwards and a goalie! That’s probably the last time I scored two goals in a game.

“But this (title) is pretty special. This is probably it for me, this year. To win another championship, especially the big one here, in a place where my family really has been the happiest we’ve ever been, is really special.

“We are terribly sad to be leaving in a couple of weeks. To win it again, and go out on that note, especially with this group of people is just amazing. I have so many good friends here not just on the team but throughout the city. Sheffield will always be a special place for us.”

Munn said he had a few commercial “irons in the fire.”

“I am aggressively pursuing alternative employment. Nothing is impossible, I would never say never to coming back here. At the end of the day we are so happy here.

“It’s killing my wife to have to leave. And killing me. But I have a couple of degrees burning a hole in my pocket. I have got some pretty big ideas and ambitions for life after hockey. If things don’t pan out you might see me back here in August.

“I hope people in Sheffield have enjoyed me being here as much as I have enjoyed being here. That’s all I can hope for.”

Steelers won the title courtesy of having more regulation time wins than second-place Cardiff Devils, who had the same number of points as Ben Simon’s side. Belfast Giants came third, a point behind.