Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cents Spring Camp Schedule, Luke Pierce's Thoughts, Brandon Pfeil to Represent Canada, Ryan Moir & Mount Royal Stay ACAC Champions, Devin Gannon Traded to Cowichan Valley:

The Cents first Spring Evaluation Camp gets rolling in Merritt tomorrow. Here's the schedule as released earlier this week:

Friday, April 1st
3:00pm - 4:00pm Player Registration
5:15pm - 6:30pm Blue vs. Black
7:00pm - 8:15pm Red vs. White
8:45pm - 9:15pm Parents and Players Meeting (Optional)

Saturday, April 2nd
9:00am - 10:00am Red & Blue Practice
10:30am - 11:30am Black & White Practice
12:30pm - 1:45pm Blue vs. Red
2:15pm - 3:30pm Black vs. White
4:00pm - 5:15pm White vs. Blue
5:45pm - 7:00pm Red vs. Black
7:30pm - 8:30pm Goaltender Session

Sunday, April 3rd
8:30am - 9:45am Blue vs. Black
10:00am - 11:00am Exit Interviews
11:15am - 12:30pm White vs. Red
12:45pm - 1:45pm Exit Interviews

I had the chance to talk with Head Coach & GM Luke Pierce earlier this week about what's coming up during the camp.

A huge honour for Centennials defenceman Brandon Pfeil as he's been chosen to represent Canada in a tournament next month in Russia. Here's the release from the BCHL website:

For the first time ever, 20 BCHL players will wear the Maple Leaf and represent Canada at the 2011 Russian Invitational Tournament in Podolsk, Russia.

Canada will be one of four teams at the event which also features the Russian National Junior Team, a Russian Select Team and the Slovakian National Junior Team. Hockey Canada was invited to enter a squad after being contacted by Russian goaltending legend Vladislav Tretiak.

For most of these players, it will be their first chance to wear the Team Canada jersey.
“We’re incredibly excited to be making this trip and giving these young men an opportunity to represent their country,” said Team Canada general manager Ron Paterson. “It’s been a lot of planning and paperwork but I’m sure it will be more than worthwhile once we get there.”

Podolsk is a town of over 180,000 people situated about 50 kilometres south of Moscow. Each team in this event will play in three games in a round-robin format. The team with the most total points at the end will be declared the winner. Canada’s games are on April 15, 16 and 17 but it is not yet known which team will provide the opposition on which date.
“We’ll be able to practise and get a couple of exhibition games in against some select teams beforehand,” said Paterson. “It’s going to be very worthwhile for these players and good for the BCHL as well.”

Canada will be guided by 2011 BCHL Interior Conference coach of the year Tim Kehler of the Salmon Arm SilverBacks. The team leaves on April 8 and returns on April 19.

COMPLETE ROSTER:

G – Khaleed Devji (West Vancouver, BC/Coquitlam Express)
G – Kris Moore (Calgary, Alta./Salmon Arm SilverBacks)

D – Troy Paterson (Surrey, BC/Cowichan Valley Capitals)
D – Justin Fillion (Prince George, BC/Victoria Grizzlies)
D – Brandon Pfeil (West Vancouver, BC/Merritt Centennials)
D – Mitch Jones (Delta, BC/Surrey Eagles)
D – Josh Manson (Prince Albert, Sask./Salmon Arm SilverBacks)
D – Jayson Reardon (Lumby, BC/Salmon Arm SilverBacks)

F – Brayden Jaw (Vancouver, BC/Nanaimo Clippers)
F – Mike Hammond (Victoria, BC/Salmon Arm SilverBacks)
F – Evan Richardson (Nanaimo, BC/Victoria Grizzlies)
F – Jake Charles (West Vancouver, BC/Coquitlam Express)
F – Austin Carroll (Vancouver, BC/Coquitlam Express)
F – Malcolm McKinney (West Vancouver, BC/Coquitlam Express)
F – RJay Berra (Prince George, BC/Prince George Spruce Kings)
F – Brett Knowles (Vanderhoof, BC/Salmon Arm SilverBacks)
F – Bryce Gervais (Battlefords, Sask./Salmon Arm SilverBacks)
F – Devin Gannon (Kamloops, BC/Salmon Arm SilverBacks)
F – David Killip (Kelowna, BC/Salmon Arm SilverBacks)
F – Jarryd Ten Vaanholt (West Vancouver, BC/Salmon Arm SilverBacks)

Head Coach – Tim Kehler, Salmon Arm SilverBacks
Assistant Coach – Colin O’Hara, Salmon Arm SilverBacks
General Manager – Ron Paterson, Surrey Eagles
Trainer – Wayne Hubbard
Massage Therapist – Larry Martin
Media relations – Eddie Gregory
Equipment Manager – Dan Ilich

Former Centennials defenceman Ryan Moir and his Mount Royal teammates remain ACAC champions after a ruling today. Here's the story from 660 News Radio in Calgary:

The Mount Royal Cougars senior men's hockey team has plenty of reason to smile.

The team has been reinstated as provincial champions after the ACAC tribunal ruled that the team would not have to replay game 5 of the championship.

Cougars Captain Darnell Glass tells 660News there were handshakes all around when they got the news.

"Excited for the guys, excited for our team, I think we worked hard for this all year long and to have the league realize that we were in the right and we deserve it was a great feeling for us."

The ACAC had originally ordered the Cougars to replay game 5 against the SAIT Trojans, which the Cougars had originally won, after it was ruled the backup goalie they used in the last game was ineligible.

Forward Devin Gannon, who played three games with the Centennials as an AP in 2007-08, has been traded from Salmon Arm to Cowichan Valley as part of the futures which saw Mike Hammond head to the Silverbacks earlier this year.

Here's the release from the Capitals website:

The Cowichan Valley Capitals Jr A Hockey Club would like to announce the 2 players that were received as the futures from Salmon Arm in the player trade from January.

Joining the Capitals are 1991 forward Devin Gannon (Kamloops, BC) and 1992 forward Brandon Mistal (Kamloops, BC).

Brandon is a right shot, 5'8 and 170 lbs. Mistal will be entering his 3rd season in the BCHL. He has played 88 games, where he has acquired 9 goals, 12 assists, 21 points and 24 penalty minutes with Salmon Arm. Brandon was a role player with Salmon Arm - killing penalties, blocking shots and working hard every shift. He will be counted on to take on more of an offensive role this season.

Devin is a right shot, 6'0 and 172 lbs and will be entering his 3rd season in the BCHL. Gannon has played 121 games and acquired 31 goals, 44 assists, 75 points and 125 penalty minutes in his BCHL career. Devin was one of the top offensive players with Salmon Arm last season and will take on that role with the Capitals for the 11/12 season. Devin is heading to Russia next week with a contingent from the BCHL, which includes Capitals defenceman Troy Paterson, to play in a tournament for a couple of weeks.

We welcome both players to the Capitals family and will see them in August for Main Camp.